1-Time to Come Home

Somewhere, far off in the distance, Dalton could hear a phone ringing but he just couldn't quite place from where it was coming. As he struggled to wake up, it took him several more seconds to make the connection from his ears to his brain that it was his phone ringing.  He grunted as he rolled over, blindly reaching for his phone, slapping the bedside table till he located it. He cleared his throat. 

"Uh...Hello?" He said, sounding hoarse and gravelly, as if just woke up...of course, he did just wake up.

"Dalton?"

"Yeah."

"Hey, um, I am so, sorry to call you at this hour.  But....I, uh (hears a very heavy sigh)...I just didn't know what else to do."  

Dalton, by now, was beginning to become more fully awake and recognized that it was his Aunt Julie, his mothers younger sister calling him and she sounded upset. Like really upset. He looked over at the digital clock on his nightstand, it read 1:39am. Now he was concerned.

"It's okay." He said trying to reassure her that he was really fine with her calling him in the middle of the night, however, he was becoming alarmed. Knowing that her husband Josh was currently deployed his mind naturally went to Josh. "Is everything is okay. Is Josh okay?" He asked.

"Yes, he is fine, well, at least I think he is." She said pausing. "Um...It's Lexi."

Now Dalton was very concerned, he threw his covers back and swung his feet over the side of the bed, sitting up on the edge.

"What's wrong Julie? What's going on with Lexi?" He asked, his voice now urgent, his heart rate immediately increasing. 

"Well, I don't exactly know?" She said her voice trembling.

"Julie...where is Lexi?" Dalton pressed trying to keep his voice calm but feeling the panic raising.

"I don't know. I mean, I think I know but I don't know exactly where the place is."

Dalton took a deep breath. "Is she hurt?" He asked letting his training kick in, trying to remain calm and focus on the details of the current situation.

"Um..no I don't think so. She was just so mad at me because I wouldn't let her go to that stupid party." She paused, he could hear her crying.  "But...but I think that is where she went. I just don't know exactly where the party is." He could hear her still crying.

Dalton dropped his head into his hand and rubbed his eyes. Okay, so from what he is understanding, Lexi must have snuck out and gone to a party of some kind. And now Julie who is obviously a wreck right now, doesn't know where she is. Now, he was beginning to understand what was going on.  Well, what he thought might be going on. 

"Okay, so from what I am hearing. You think Lexi has snuck out and went to this party."

He could hear Julie blowing her nose.

"Yes. Emmy woke up and I was putting her back to bed when I noticed Lexi's bed was empty." Julie started crying again. "I'm so sorry Dalton. It's one in the morning and I just have no idea where she is."

He could hear the desperation in her voice and it made him angry. Angry at his little sister. "I'm sure she is okay Julie." He tried to offer though he now was just as worried as she was.

Julie said still crying "It's just...it's just that I don't think I can do this anymore, Dalton. I just can't."

Dalton didn't need to act like he didn't know what she meant, he did. He ran his hand through his short crew cut. It made him briefly think how he was really needing a trim.