Speculation - Chapter 10

We have all waited for such a long time for John and Margaret to finally meet. I hope you all enjoy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Between the idea

And the reality

Between the motion

And the act

Falls the Shadow

Chapter 10.

~ “I don't want to possess you! I wish to marry you because I love you! I have never loved any woman before; my life has been too busy, my thoughts too much absorbed with other things. I love you, Miss Hale, and will love you always!” ~

His deep voice had trembled, thick with raw emotions; his words still reverberated throughout the walls of Mr. Hales' old study, raking across Margaret's heart. However, it was her own scathing reply to those impassioned words that truly tormented her soul.

~ “Well, you shouldn't, because I do not like you and never have! Why there was not a man, not a poor desperate man in all that crowd for whom I should not have done the same in shielding them from the violence of the riotous mob!” ~

As Margaret gazed about the room, she could still feel the effects that her caustic words had on the strong,independent Darkshire man. His intense pain had been visibly evident, contorting his handsome features and causing the gleam of unshed tears to hover precariously upon his long, dark lashes. Margaret winced; it was all still so vivid.

She did not know how or when his agony had invaded her very soul, but at that very moment she felt it keenly and realized she would carry the imprint forever upon her heart. Margaret knew she should flee this house, but found herself walking slowly to the familiar window to gaze down upon the street below. All she saw, however, were memories.

Her thoughts turned to her beloved brother,Frederick. How she envied his new life, now that he was happily married and living in Cadiz. He had found someone to love and cherish who loved him in return and provided him with comfort in his dark hours when the gnawing pain of loss became too much to bear alone. Margaret had only herself, and her heart still bled. The only person who could ever provide a healing balm to her lacerated heart was forever lost to her, and the bitter reality was that it was no one's fault but her own. 

A shuddering sob escaped Margaret's compressed lips. She knew all too well how caring and tender of heart Mr. Thornton could be. Had she not witnessed first-hand his kind and compassionate nature towards her dear Mother? Maria Hale had loved fruit, and as her sickness had progressed, Mr. Thornton had brought her some of the finest fruits Milton had to offer. Margaret clasped her hand over her mouth to stifle another sob as the bowl of ruddy apples flashed in her mind. His words returned to haunt her: ~“I don't remember the color of this fruit...” ~

When her Mother had died, John was there by her father's side, providing solace to his dear friend. He was ever so gentle and understanding, sitting long hours with Richard as the older man poured out his heart. It was only John who could provide the comforting words that helped sooth Mr. Hale's broken heart and spirit.

Margaret yearned to hear his low, soothing voice speak words of comfort to her while he tenderly held her close. But her own callousness and the wretched lie she had told had shattered any such hope. Tears once again welled in her eyes as his harsh words washed over her. ~ “Any foolish passion for you I had on my part is entirely over Miss Hale! I am looking to the future!” ~

Margaret clutched the windowsill as tears threatened to spill over at the remembrance of his words. She had never felt so cold, alone, or empty as she did at that moment.