Speculation - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

London....

While all of Milton was in turmoil, life in the Harley Street home was one of calm tranquility untouched by the troubles of everyday life. It was here that Margaret now lived with her Aunt Shaw, cousin Edith, and her husband Captain Lennox. Her life was turning in directions she never expected and she now found herself an heiress of her godfather's estate yet there was within her a strange unsatisfied void in her heart and manner of life. Henry Lennox frequented the Harley street home and it seemed only fitting that he become Margret's legal adviser, helping her not only understand her situation but also helping with Fredrick although deep down she knew they would probably never succeed in clearing his name.

One morning in early spring, while the rest of the house still lay asleep, Margaret stood looking out her bedroom window, clouds were gathering in the east as the sun rose over the London skyline setting it ablaze in various shades of fiery crimson red; a sure harbinger of rain.

It was at this time of day that she especially enjoyed the quite solitude, letting her thoughts slip to her carefree days in Helstone. She enjoyed nothing more than walking through the Helstone country side with her father visiting all their dear friends. Her mind drifted further back to the days when she would ramble about with no thought to time or place where more often than not, on gloriously delightful sunny days she could be found lounging under a large shade tree dreaming of enchanted places full of adventure. On the wings of those delightful memories her mind drifted to an almost forgotten idyllic daydream of happily living amongst the wood nymphs and elves, helping defend their woodland home along side their handsome prince.

Margaret smiled at the memory of that long ago childish fantasy yet wondering what made her recall that dream? She soon found her thoughts shifting as her happy innocent days of Helstone slipped as sand through her fingers to her days in Milton.

Often she thought about Nicholas, Mary, and the Boucher children. She wondered how they were faring and realized that she missed her Milton life more than she ever imagined. She knew they thought of her but at times she wondered if any one else, if he...A knock sounded at her door breaking into her thoughts. Edith's voice could be heard through the door "Margaret. Are you ready to go down for breakfast? I have some exciting news I think you will love" " Yes Edith I am coming" Margaret was surprised at how fast time had passed by as she looked out the window to now see the sun shrouded in gathering clouds turning the sky a foreboding shade of gray, "Almost like a Milton sky" Margaret thought. Now pushing all thoughts of the past away, she opened the door and greeted her fair cousin who was dressed in a gown of pale blue that set her blue eyes and fair complexion off perfectly. Margaret couldn't help admiring her cousin's beauty and commented on it as they made their way down to the dinning room.

Upon entering the room they were greeted by Edith's mother, already seated at the dinning room table with tea cup in hand. "Margaret, Edith good morning. Please sit and pour yourself a cup of tea. Why Edith where is your Captain Lennox this morning?"

" Oh, mama he is still sleeping, he came in late. But I couldn't wait and had to get up and tell Margaret the wonderful news" Edith's eyes were all aglitter with childish excitement whilst Margaret could stand being in suspense no longer. "Well Edith,what is this exciting news of yours? Do you plan to keep me in suspense forever?"

Edith grinned, hardly able to stifle the laughter that wanted to bubble forth. "Margaret my dear, you are so impatient, you always have been you know."

Margaret gave Edith a impish smiled, acknowledging the fact as she took a sip of tea.

Edith's laughter broke forth and resembled soft tinkling bells on a crisp spring day as she replied "All right Margaret I won't keep you in suspense any longer. We have been invited to attend a concert this Saturday with the Pippers. Isn't that wonderful news?" Margaret was saved from replying as Henry Lennox entered the room halting any further conversation on the subject.