Part 2

I knew Patrick well enough that I could see something already forming in his mind. Of course, any time he was awake there was some sort of harebrained scheme percolating in his brain. I narrowed my eyes at him thinking I might dissuade him from anything I might consider unsuitable for my grandson. I also knew subtle looks were not likely to deter Patrick overly much.

"I don't know Amos," Patrick said with a conspiratorial tone in his voice. "He's pretty small. He might not be quite ready yet."

Sammy's full attention was on Patrick which I knew was Patrick's intent. Seeing the little tyke's interest so readily peaked I decided I might just as well play along until Patrick ventured beyond what I would consider acceptable. "Well, he is pretty sharp for his age. He may be more ready than you might think. Let's not count him out too quickly."

Sammy was beginning to squirm and kept looking from me to Patrick. He knew something was up, he just didn't know what. For that matter neither did I.

"What Papa? What Uncle Patrick?" He asked eagerly surprising me with the Uncle Patrick title he bestowed so quickly. I had to wonder if Chris had told him that was what Patrick should be called. "I can do it, I know I can." He poked his bottom lip out displaying the same look of determination to face whatever came that I had seen on the first day I saw him walking boldly down the hall between his new Mom and Dad.

I cocked my head slightly to the side giving Patrick a "you started this, now what?" look that hopefully suggested he might better come up with something.

"Well," Patrick said softly leaning in centrally to draw both Sammy and myself closer to the conspiracy, "do you think he might be a good candidate to bring into our secret society?"

I wasn't sure if Sammy understood what a candidate might be and I was pretty sure he had no clue as to what might constitute a secret society but I could tell from the sparkle in his eyes that that did not matter. He would eagerly trade anything he possessed to be included.

"Well Patrick," I replied conspiratorially, "he seems pretty capable so we might just give him a try." Sammy was practically bouncing at this point and nodding his head vigorously in the affirmative. "Do we have any missions, simple mind you, that we might give him a trial run?"

"Oh, I think we do Amos," Patrick said smiling broadly at Sammy. "I think he is the perfect person to help us on a mission to sneak some ice cream this afternoon. That is providing you like ice cream Sammy."

Sammy's eyes had gotten big with the inclusion of sneaking and ice cream in the same sentence. "I love it, Uncle Patrick!" Sammy exclaimed still bouncing. "Ice cream is my favorite."

"Okay, okay," Patrick said making downward motions with his hands to calm Sammy's enthusiasm, "but we have to be very calm and quiet about this or we might not make it work." The 'might not make it work' part settled Sammy pretty quickly. I think he was already tasting the ice cream. "You men follow me and we will begin the 'Assault On The Ice Cream Mission. But I have to warn you it could be dangerous."

At the mention of danger Sammy's eyebrows raised up and he swallowed visibly. But, it was obvious he was still willing to take a shot at whatever came.