Part 6

Patrick look back and said, "Okay Sammy, keep your eyes looking toward the wall. It is best not to look at any of the people at the nurse's station. They might feel you looking at them and catch us. Can you be very quiet and creep around the corner?"

Although he looked a little unsure Sammy replied, "I can be very quiet Uncle... General... Patrick. I won't make no sound." This was delivered with a vigorous nod of his head.

We started off looking like a parade of caterpillars, two-thirds of which were definitely in the geriatric category. Sammy was indeed quiet. As for Patrick and myself, there was no preventing the popping of old joints, the crackle of brittle tendons over bone, and more than a few groans as limbs covered with thin skin were pressed into the hard floor.

We had not gone far when there was a pair of old worn brogans right in front of me. I recognized the footwear and didn't much want to look up but it was either that or crawl through them. So, I gazed up into the face of one George Abraham Dubois, the first non-living resident of Shady Rest that I had met. I grimaced, not the best time to engage in idle chatter with someone only I could see and hear.

"I be Mistah Trotter," he said with a chuckle, "I done seen you do a buncha mighty silly stuff in yo time heah, but dis might jus be da icen on da cake. How ya doin down deah?"

"Mmmph!" I growled, giving my head a shake. I was hoping anyone that might hear me would think this was a result of my discomfort crawling on the floor.

"I get ya Mistah Trotter, I get ya." George said still unable to keep the mirth out of his voice. "I won't be holden ya up none, you is doin a fine thing keepen dat boy happy and even mo putten up wid Mistah Pat-rick hisself. Ya'll jus carry right on."

And with that his almost worn-out brogans simply disappeared.

Thank the Lord we didn't have far to crawl down the hall before we rounded the corner and began making our way beyond the sight of the nurse's station. Even though he had promised not to, Sammy couldn't resist a few short glances toward the nurses who all were engaged in loud conversation conveniently focused away from us. As I was just about to pass out of their sight I couldn't resist either and looked back. Rosie and the nurses stood in unison looking at us worming our way down the hall. Their hands on their hips, heads shaking, muffled giggles, and looks on their faces asking clearly "is there no limit to what these old fools would get up to". I had Rosie's eye and gave her a wink of thanks as I labored my way out of sight.