Lavendar. Antiseptic. Home.

Part 1.6

Red lights blazed through the ship, the siren blaring through the quarters, a voice commanding the men to get to their battle stations

Red lights blazed through the ship, the siren blaring through the quarters, a voice commanding the men to get to their battle stations. Tom looked up to Vic as he offended him his hand.

"Come on then, take my hand."

"Nah, forget it, mate. I'd better get on with my job like you said." He watched as Vic gave a shake of his head.

"Come on, lads, let's do it."

~

Tom sprinted full speed through the ships narrow halls, rushing to get to where he needed to be. The flashing lights and warnings spurred him further, his heart pounding in his chest.

"Move!" He yelled, making his way down the ladder before beginning to tie off his overalls at his waist.

"What's the story, sir?"

"All you need to know is she's sunk nine of ours and we're not gonna be the tenth. Get on with it!"

"You've got it! BAC?" Tom yelled to the crew.

"Yeah, she's running, mate."

~

Tom loaded the heavy shells into the cylinder, shouting back and forth with his crew mates. Though he tried to remain composed, his entire body felt alight with terror for what was to come. He couldn't see the battle, couldn't see the enemy. All he could do was load the shells and hope to god that the lad manning the gun was a decent shot.

As the chaos enveloped him, he found himself wondering what it was like for her. What she was doing in that moment. Did her heart beat out of her chest the second that those sirens went off? He silently prayed that they would make it though it all alive, that he would see the witty nurse again.

He continued with his work, rapidly loading shell after shell, shouting encouragement to his partners. But it all came to a halt as they heard the whistle of an incoming enemy shell. Tom froze. So that's what it sounded like? It was such a meek sound-

The entire ship shook with the force of the blast

"Fuckin' hell." Commented Vic as they all looked to the ceiling above them as if they could see the damage through the layers of metal.

"If that took the canary out nobody gets a refund." Tom joked, smiling just as another shell battled into them. The entire ship was quivering now.

"Fuckin' hell."

Tom looked up into the darkness as he heard the agonised screams of the sailors on the deck. His blood turned to ice as he thought he made out a female cry amongst them, and for a terrifying moment his mind flashed the image of a small woman covered in blood, her lips blue instead of smiling.