Sonic & Tails - Chips

Sonic slouched against the back of the couch, flipping casually through the tv channels, blankly watching as they blinked between reality, cartoon, documentary, and infomercials. Dusk had set upon the world outside, and he had resigned himself to spending the rest of the evening lounging on that very couch until either the sun came back up, or he dozed off from boredom.

His half-lidded eyes, glazed over with indifference, didn't move from the screen as Tails strode put from the kitchen, flicking off the light and striding over to the couch. The young fox lightly tucked himself into the crook of the couches arm, making himself comfortable with a bag of chilichips. Ready for what he assumed was a previously planned, relaxing evening with his brother.

Instead, he watched as Sonic robotically clicked the remote button. Switching past channel after channel, and never seeming to decidedly land on one.

He'd resigned himself to waiting patiently for the blue hedgehog to make a decision, opening the bag with a series of muted crinkles. He shoved his hand into the bag, watching with varying amusement as the channels paused and skipped, paused and skipped, as if on a timer.

Pulling a handful of crisp, deeply powdered chips out of the bag, he began to consume the tasty treats. Relishing the taste of each bite as he slowly chewed, eyes glued with half-hearted interest to the flickering screen.

A couple chips later, and Sonic's ear twitched. Compared to the almost glitch-like audio crackling from the tv, the sound of crunching chips was nearly deafening. The hedgehog tried to ignore it, pressing down the channel button with a little more force.

The sound of smacking lips clawed the inside of his ears, and another, somehow louder, crunch told him that the process was about to repeat.

Sonic tried to hide a grimace, ears flicking back in an attempt to at least make the sound more muffled. Despite these attempts, the constant cycle of crunching chips and smacking mouth scraped like nails on a chalkboard up his spine. His fur prickled and he felt a jolt of restlessness and irritation shoot into his leg, his foot tapping mutely into the carpet.

Still he held out hope. Perhaps the kit would stop, and he could once more slip into mindless boredom.

A loud crinkle. Tails reaching into the bag. His hand rustled at impossible volumes as he tried to get a hold of more delicious noisemakers.

Another. Drawn out. Crunch.

Finally, Sonic couldn't take any more, and whirled around to face the fox, his irritation prickling his skin like a thousand needles.

"Okay- What are you eating and why is it so loud?!"

The fox jolted, his wide blue eyes looking at Sonic in surprise.

Sonic's foot hadn't stopped tapping, even speeding up a touch as the fox hurried to finish chewing the chip still in his mouth. His teeth grinding against the dry food was only minutely muted by his closed mouth, but now Sonic's ears had become too sensitive to the sound for it to be anything less than a cacophony.

Tails swallowed. "Uuuhhh."
His namesakes flicked uncertainly, betraying their owner's confusion and bewilderment. "Chilichips?"

Sonic sucked in a breath.

Tails held out the bag, and Sonic's ears twitched violently at the sound of the corn chips shifting inside the bag.

"You want some?" He shook the bag enticingly, which was actually not so enticing to Sonic's hearing. "They kinda taste like chili~!"

Curiosity nibbled at his irritation, and Sonic found himself slowly beginning to relax. A brow quirking up.

Tails tilted his head, a crooked smile pulling up the corners of his muzzle.

"Ya know, it's scientifically proven that food doesn't sound as loud if you're eating something too."

Sonic sighed, shoving his hand, perhaps a little too aggressively, into the bag.

"Fine. I'll try anything." He mumbled.

He pulled out the handful of darkly powdered corn chips, easing back into his slouched position, which had taken a more sulking air than boredom. He popped a chip into his mouth, pleased to find its savory flavor appealing to his taste. It wasn't a chili dog, but they weren't half bad.

The channel he'd landed on had also happened to be a cooking channel. One of those competitive ones where amateur chefs try to win a big prize by impressing judges with diverse culinary masterpieces.

Since Sonic's hands were currently occupied with savory chips, and he didn't feel like pointlessly flipping through more channels, he and Tails ended up just watching that. It wasn't that bad of a show. Better than most he'd come across. And he found that slowly chewing the crunchy chips had a strangely calming affect on him. Not to mention that they were actually pretty good.

He reached out his hand for another handful when he realized something. He hadn't heard Tails' chewing.

He looked over at the fox, and sure enough he was still chewing away as he watched the show.

"Hey Tails."

The fox's eyes flicked over to him.

Sonic smiled, "Mind if I have some more?"

Tails broke into a grin, happily holding out the bag for Sonic to help himself, which the hedgehog quickly did.

As Sonic popped another chip into his mouth he couldn't help asking.

"I'm curious. Where'd you find that eating is scientifically proven to help an annoyance with chewing?"

Tails cast the hedgehog an amused look, a cheeky twinkle in his eye.

"Nowhere. I've only just now tested the theory."

Sonic stared at Tails, slowly squinting.

"You sly little fox."

Tails laughed.

~ Fin ~

————————————————————————

This drabble was based off of a very similar situation that happened in my family's living room between my father and my brother. My dad has a, shall I say, acute sensitivity to the sounds of people eating. And one of my brother's favorite snacks- is chips. And upon reaching the breaking point of my father's tolerance, he said something that just struck me as comedic, and I wrote it down for a future Drabble or quote to use.

~ Original Quote ~

"What are you eating and why is it so loud?!"
~ My Dad

(Yes the art is mine.)  ;)