Thirty-Seven: The Ammumission

A/N: Please leave comments! I love reading them and it motivates me to update sooner. Tell me what you think of these books! What do/don't you like? What do you want to happen? What do you NOT want to happen?

Today was the day. Trace was practically jumping up and down as they all headed to the Berg. Flint had to tell her three times to be careful before Trace finally learned her lesson by not looking where she was going and falling off the edge of the ramp as they walked in.

Sonya had been the one standing behind her at the time and had burst out laughing at the sight.

"Trace, how are you going to make it through this mission if you can't even walk onto a Berg without falling?"

"Hey!" She got up from the ground, dusting herself off before jumping back onto the ramp. "I'll have you know I have never fallen over in a fight."

"Try telling that to the Griever who squashed you," Minho reminded her from across a crowd of people.

Trace poked her tongue out at him and carried on into the Berg without falling over, slipping, stumbling or face-planting more than three times.

They all found seats dotted around the cargo hold in the middle of the Berg. Trace, in her haste to find a good spot, rushed to sit down and somehow ended up in Gally's lap. Nobody could work out when, how or why, but it happened.

"What the hell are you doing?" Gally's voice was slightly muffled as Trace's upper arm had –rather confusingly– found a resting place over his mouth.

Minho and Brenda were crying with laughter as Newt just stared, bewildered, at the sight. Flint was shaking his head slowly and Frypan looked ever so slightly jealous if Trace wasn't mistaken.

"Gally, nothing I do is ever planned. You know this."

Gally shoved Trace off his lap and onto the floor with a thud. Trace glared up at him. "You know, a lot of people would really appreciate me sitting on their lap, Gally."

"Not true," Flint replied.

"Absolutely not," Newt laughed.

"I wouldn't count on it," Minho smirked.

"I would."

"Brenda!"

Trace was too busy grinning at Brenda to notice Minho's outburst. She leapt up from the floor for the second time in five minutes and immediately sat on Brenda's lap, finding it surprisingly comfortable.

"See?" she said, gesturing with her palms outwards. "I'm glad someone appreciates me."

Just then, the ramp began to close and the Berg fired up, engine rumbling more than Trace's tummy in that first part of the Scorch Trials. The lighthearted tone left the room and the tension returned. Trace went over the plan again in her head:

Step one: try not to fall out of the sky.

Step two: arrive near WICKED's headquarters and don't get squashed under the Berg or attacked by magical forest cranks.

Step three: sneak over to WICKED, fight a couple of guards, set up the explosives.

Step four: kaboom.

After the kaboom step, they'd all make their way inside. At that point, Trace knew they'd end up splitting up. The OG, cool main cast from the maze would follow Thomas back in to save the immunes and get them to the Safe Haven, while the Right Arm took down the rest of the building.