A2O-5

THE LAST ODD

“Yep, I'm good, I'm cute, I'm irresistible.”

Jungwon woke up from his afternoon nap upon hearing the repeating chant from under his bed. Sunoo must've arrived from class.

“Yep, I'm good, I'm cute, I'm irresistible.”

Jungwon knitted his eyebrows, finding the chant very familiar. He climbed down on his bed and went to Sunoo's bed, sleepily staring at the latter who was staring at himself in the mirror.

“I really need to start my diet, this chant isn't effective anymore,” Sunoo said, pouting. “What do you think, Jungwon?”

Jungwon stared confusedly at the older boy.

“I'm cute, but all these round cheeks are making me look fat,” Sunoo spoke, pinching his own skin. “I'm craving for some ice cream right now, how dare I talk about dieting.”

Sunoo stared more at his reflection before he finally threw the hand mirror on the table next to them.

“Screw it, I'm still irresistibly cute,” Sunoo said. “Do you want to eat outside tonight? Jungwon?”

“Can you repeat the chant?” Jungwon asked.

Sunoo raised his eyebrows, “Why? Are you using it to boost your self-esteem? Nah, Jungwon, you're always perfect in my eyes.”

“No,” Jungwon said. “Has your soulmate ever told you to shut up?”

Sunoo gasped, offended. “My soulmate hasn't talked back to me ever since!”

Jungwon looked really confused, until he stood up on the floor and got his phone from the upper bed. He sat back down on Sunoo's bed, scrolling through his phone.

+++

Sunoo stared at the familiar face on Jungwon's phone.

“Do you remember this person telling you to shut up?”

“How did he know?”

“In the blue room, where the evaluation for contestants happened,” Jungwon said.

Sunoo pursed his lips upon getting the flashbacks.

“Ni-ki, right? Your friend,” Sunoo bitterly said. “Yeah, I remember him telling me to shut up two times already.”

Jungwon looked surprised and at the same time happy.

“What?” Sunoo asked, still oblivious.

“You are Ni-ki's soulmate!”

+++

“You are my soulmate? Really?”

“Hey, even though you're probably asleep by now, shut up.”

‘I'm wide awake because of your loud thoughts. You shut up.’

“I mean, really? All this time it was you?”

Ni-ki sighs, closing his eyes.

“Okay, now I feel embarrassed with all the thoughts I've shared with you.”

‘They are mostly nonsense things, not really embarrassing but cute.’

“I'm not even sure if it's really you.”

You really do sound stupid sometimes.’

“Most of the time,” Ni-ki corrected himself.

“December ninth? Okay, I'll wait until you confirm it for me.”