05. mother, dearest

05/ MOTHER, DEAREST

05/ MOTHER, DEAREST

   Pale beams of silver moon poured into the dark halls from the framed windows. The silence was hanging in the castle, it was a mixture of horror and serenity. It looked like the ancient walls could either echo her words or swallow them. 

   It was Aegon's voice and words that filled the silence in Maelora's head. She had been repeating their conversation all day. Sometimes, she almost gave up talking to her mother since she felt like that was exactly what Aegon wanted her to do, but only one part convinced her otherwise. Aemond's feelings towards Helaena.

   It would be a small price for Maelora if Aemond could find some peace in the end. 

   Maelora knew Queen Alicent was in her chamber tonight because Criston Cole informed her. It was possible that Hightower woman (Maelora could never consider her mother as a Targaryen) would be too weary to listen to Maelora's words but the girl thought this way her mother was easier to convince.

   Maelora considered Aegon's offer from all angles. It wasn't so bad. She would rather Aegon than that Lannister, or some old ugly lord. At least, she could stay in her home this way. Not so away from her family. And even though Aegon would not make a good husband, he would never hurt her. 

   Criston Cole was not in front of Alicent's chamber, but two guards were. They had stone-cold expressions on their faces when they blocked the entrance of the door, not daring to look the Princess in the eye.

   Maelora arched a brow before crossing her arms over her chest. Being the youngest Targaryen also meant having so little power compared to the rest of the family. She would be the last one to be considered for the Iron Throne, her Targaryen name giving her nowhere. 

   While Maelora was thinking how foolish she stood there, trying to digest the disrespect, the doors got opened, saving her from her embarrassment. 

   The face that welcomed her didn't belong to her mother. "The whispers are true. You are so much prettier from close, Princess."

   Maelora felt like a statue, completely frozen, a frown adorning her face. "The hour is late, Lord Larys." She stated, growing uncomfortable under his intense gaze.

   "There is no day or night when it comes to serving the Queen, Princess." Lord Larys said, an ugly grin curling his lips upwards. 

   "I see." Maelora mumbled dryly, wishing the man would just walk away.

   None of the Targaryen siblings understood Lord Larys and their mother's relationship. Even Aegon was aware of the way this man looked at their mother, but Alicent always found a way to digress into the subject whenever Aemond and Maelora brought it up.