17. bite the hand that feeds

17/ BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS

    Rhaenyra felt like the Gods were toying with her, each attempt to reach Maelora thwarted by some unseen force. It was as if the Fates themselves conspired to keep them apart.

   Every time the woman tried to approach the girl, someone else beat her to it. After her conversation with Aegon, she tried to go to the young Princess with determination gleaming in her eyes but Alicent Hightower was faster than her, and closer to the girl. Rhaenyra let out an annoyed sigh, feeling the weight of frustration settling upon her like a heavy cloak before she changed her path and veered toward her husband Daemon instead.

   Alicent's whole body, her every muscle, was tense, her hand wrapped around her daughter's arm, her grip firm but not hurting. "What did he want?" She asked, her voice edged with a combination of apprehension and curiosity.

   Maelora tried to free her arm, "Nothing." She replied nonchalantly, but her words did little to ease Alicent's growing anxiety.

   Alicent's gaze hardened while paranoia planted thoughts in her mind. There was shakiness of fear in her voice, "Do not speak to him alone again. He is very dangerous, unpredictable and—"

   "We are in a feast, surrounded by dozens of guards." Maelora stated as if it was obvious. "Daemon can be a lot of things but he is no fool."

   "He is not but you are." Alicent snapped with her sharp-edged voice and ice-weaved tone. There was an undertone of fear in her vocal cords. "Do not speak to him again."

   Maelora furrowed her brows in confusion. It wasn't like her relationship with her mother improved after the rumors but still, it didn't make sense for Alicent to overreact. "Fine. I will act like I am mute when he talks to me again." She said in a murmur, her tone dry and carved from pure sarcasm her mother did not approve of.

   Alicent gave her a look she used to give to Aegon. And even to Viserys. As if she wanted to scream are you fucking with me right now? Maelora merely shrugged, her face a canvas of feigned innocence.  

   The Queen frowned, her face screwing up in a mixture of confusion and disgust. "What is that?" She questioned, her slender hands moving to her daughter's stomach where she kept the dagger. "You brought a weapon to a feast?"