14. CHEMISTRY AT THE MUSIC STUDIO

As I streaked through the fluffy clouds, my mind was also speeding. Speeding through thoughts and memories.

what if I said I liked Gina back then, would things have been different now? How would I hope to stand against Kazar next time he shows up? Would it already be too late?

Then, like the drop of a bombshell, I remembered my promise to June Austere. As much as I wanted answers, I dreaded the thought of disappointing her. "Blitz, what's the time?!"

"It's two o'clock, you just might break your punctuality dry spell this time around. But if I recall clearly, she didn't get the time to tell you which among the fifteen music studios in New Chronos she'd be rehearsing at."

I arched a brow."Is that a challenge?"

*****

It was a big challenge. Blitz had scoured the web for as much info as he possibly could about June's career and it turned out she was signed under a record label by the name of 'New Neon Records'. But the kicker was, it only owned a recording studio in Canada. So if June was going to record here in New Chronos, she'd probably have booked a commercial studio. Precisely, her manager--Samson Summers--would have done the booking and this city had a whopping six recording studios scattered as far from each other as possible.

I was so demoralized.

Now of course I could have zipped through the sky to each and every single one of them and x-ray scanned the walls for June, but since I had already used my creative beams, my power time was down to mere seconds so I begrudgingly had to ditch the suit and trek to the Villa first. Or rather limp there. Once I finally arrived, I took the Lambo out for a spin.

"My legs hurt." I moaned. "I don't think I'll be able to hit the brakes if the need arises."

"If you want to die prematurely, try to reschedule a bit until after we've saved the world from the Alxs." Blitz said.

My face lit up. "That reminds me, you said we were going to do some digging when we got to the Villa. Should I drive back? We're only a few minutes out."

"Eerie that I forgot." Blitz sounded bemused. "The fact that Earth isn't in rubbles yet must mean that Kazar didn't come with the military might of the Alxs. In fact, he might have even come alone. If we get to digging, we'll find out for sure how he arrived."

My grip on the steering wheel tightened as my focus was split between navigating through the highway traffic and pondering the fate of the world. "I had never felt so overwhelmed before." I grimaced. "If one Alx could do that, I don't want to experience what an army can do."

My eyes met the time flashing on my phone's lock screen on the passenger's seat. Ten minutes to 4 pm. June would have to wait. I've got bigger fish to fry.

Suddenly an unknown number called. I lifted my phone with suspicion as I slowed down my car before picking up the call.

"Hey Jason!" June's voice rang with elation.

I fell back into my seat, stunned. "June?"

Her voice took an inquisitive tone. "You sound surprised. Did you forget that you gave me your number at the NC Pavilion before you disappeared?"

I face-palmed before taking a deep breath. Trying for a smooth voice, I replied. "How could I ever?"

"What's wrong with your voice? Are you parched?"

What? My brows furrowed. I cleared my throat. "No, it must have been the signal or something. Anyways, I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye yesterday. It was really--"