32. WHAT BECOMES OF US: Part 2

JASON'S POV

Blitz had gone into recharge mode, signified by only the faint hum in my head. But at least I arrived at home just before he 'slept'. Now I was alone with my thoughts.

The events in Archer's lair replayed in my mind. One second he was breathing, the next he was gone. Maybe Nic was right, maybe it was my fault.
But that didn't mean he should've rejected my help. He wasn't the Nic I knew from school days. Ever since that party, something about his perception of me changed. And that was disheartening because I liked the bond we shared. Admittedly I shouldn't have blown a fuse that night. That feeling of being left behind while the other succeeds, it was what made me competitive for that job opportunity. Heh, if only I would have known what awaited me back then.

If my reaction was different, Nic would have probably taken my hand today. He would have been alive.

Sighing deeply, I sat up on the bed.

My hands combed slowly through my blond hair. I couldn't even save a single soul in that lair. No, I saved Blitz!

The words flowed out. "At least I saved Blitz, and he saved me."

A smile traced my lips as I remembered what I said on the news. "New Chronos, the red monster is no longer a threat."

We did it. The smile enlarged into a grin. Blitz and I saved the world!

But that feeling...when you wish you did more even though others said it was enough--that feeling haunted me.

Nic's words reverberated in my head. "If I had your powers, things wouldn't have reached this stage."

I smacked my forehead to shake off the reverie. Something positive would help around now.
"Focus on the bright side," I breathed. "There's always a bright side."

Then I recalled that the world was almost destroyed when Kazar had me in a chokehold. It was the words of Scott that stirred up the extra willpower to turn the tables. I saved the world, not just with the help of Blitz but with the help of Scott too.

"I've gotta call Scotty." I swiped my phone and dialed his number.

"Jason Striker," his voice sounded groggy. "You're up late. What's up?"

So many things to say, I was struggling to put them in order. "Bro, you might not get it now, but I wanted to say you played a big role in a major victory. Thanks for that motivation."

"What--"he yawned. "Are we talking about?"

I chuckled. "You know what? How about we meet up so I can explain in person?"

"Oh," he sounded more awake. "Is it about that secret you wanted to tell me?"

"Yeah, so how does tomorrow sound?"

"Umm...I got practice in the morning and a tournament match in the evening. How 'bout next tomorrow?"

"Sure thing. Think I gotta let you recharge. Good luck with your match."

"Thanks, man. Can't wait to catch up, laters."

"Later." I said before hanging up. It was official, I was letting one more person in on my secret. I mean what's the worst that could happen?

I should have followed Scott and caught some sleep but something was burning inside me. A desire calling my attention...

"June!" I gasped and began to dial her number. Fingers crossed she hasn't told anyone about my secret.

"Hi Jason," her voice brought up my mood. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"Hey, I'm good."

* * *
In a matter of minutes, I was speeding through the city in my Lamborghini Aventador. "Be there in a flash?" I facepalmed. "That was so lame." If Blitz was awake he probably would've burned me with sarcasm.