THE MURPHY LAW

There is a dark, poetic facet to pain.

Perhaps it's the acute feeling and sensibility it provides, perhaps it's how relatable and human it is.

It's the expected thing. That slow treading into the abyss after staying on the top of the mountain for so long, like packing up your things after a sunny day on the beach – sooner or later, life is going to hit you, and until there, all that is left is the wait.

Teresa knew all that, she just wasn't expecting the hit to be so literal. She felt the pain fading, alongside her vision.

Soon enough, everything was black.

xx

Earlier That Day

Teresa tried to shake the uneasy feeling for the umpteenth time that early morning, frowning as the grip on her chest seemed to tighten.

"Tessa, you ok there?" – Daniel's voice brought her back, his face losing the smile as he noticed the worry on her face.

They had been Facetiming again, with Daniel being away for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"I'm good." – she gave him a half smile.

"Are you worrying about the COVID shot?" – he asked her playfully and Teresa scoffed.

"No! I think it's very necessary. I just wished it wasn't on the same day as your race, Dan."

He nodded in sympathy; he too wished they were there to support him. It seemed his enthusiasm deemed considerably when Lucas and Teresa were away.

Teresa checked the time before giving him a sad look.

"You have to go?" – Daniel confirmed, his voice small.

"Yeah. I still need to get to Faro." – she almost groaned before turning around – "Lucas! Come say goodbye to Daddy."

The toddler came running to his mother, Teresa catching him and getting him in front of the camera.

"Daddy!" – Lucas grinned, lifting the adults' mood with his radiant smile.

"You be good to Mummy, yes champ?" – the little boy got serious.

"Yes, Daddy!" – he leaned forward, whispering – "I'll hold her hand if she gets scwayed. Pwomise!"

"Thank you, champ." – The Aussie whispered as well, beaming at Teresa's awed expression.

"Be careful today, Dan." – she said and he nodded – "We will call you later!"

They hung up, the worry in Teresa's chest getting tighter.

xx

Charlotte's phone rang with an urgency she couldn't yet pay to it.

After the chaos that had ensued on the very beginning of the race, she knew better than to take her focus off of her boys; media was being relentless, with some of the reporters attempting to get a snarky remark to Botta's earlier bowling display.

McLaren had been quite harmed by the whole ordeal; Lando had a DNF and Daniel's car had sustained damages that compromised his race.

The phone rang once again and she sneaked a glimpse towards the screen – she didn't recognize the number. It was foreign, her phone was telling her, from Portugal.

Noticing Lando exiting the media pen, and intrigued about the constant calls, she answered the phone when it rang once again.

"Charlotte Safton, McLaren's F1 Team."