7: Falling head over heels... literally

"We are not watching Pride and prejudice."

"You said I could choose," I stated, arms across my chest as I sat on our blue sofa next to Liza. She was currently flicking through Netflix, refusing to relinquish control of the TV remote.

"Well as per usual, you picked wrong. I'm starting to question your judgement."

"Haha. I thought we weren't supposed to be talking about Bryon."

"I never said his name. But the fact that you instantly related him to your poor judgement speaks volumes."

"Well I'm still your best friend, aren't I? That alone should tell you I'm a poor judge of character."

"So a pattern is emerging. Noted."

"Anyway, I'm not going to even message Bryon. You're right he doesn't deserve it. But I'm a fixer, you know this. I have this stupid need to make things better for everyone, even if that means making it worse for myself," I breathed out, feeling the tears start to well in my eyes despite not even feeling that sad, more frustrated. Bryon and I were broken and whilst he had been the one to do it, I seemed to be the only one with the urge to fix it.

"I know," Liza replied, pulling me into a hug, "and that's what makes everyone love you. You make everything better. Bryon might have just realized that fact, seeing you today because you know, he can be a little slow. But at some point, you have to stop trying to fix others whilst breaking yourself."

"Thanks," I whimpered, wiping at the tears that fell without choice.

"Now to the important decision at hand. It's still your pick obviously but it's now between Ghost or Beastly."

I rolled my eyes, not missing the fact that both her choices were paranormal romance. Rapunzel had been more subtle when she hit Ryder in the face with a frying pan.

"Neither. I want romance, not weird supernatural infatuation. I'm not some teen craving a vampire fix."

"Neither of these have vampires."

"You're missing my point."

"That's because you haven't got one."

"Oh god. Why don't you just pick," I huffed, knowing that had been her plan all along. Her eyes immediately twinkled, wasting no time in clicking on Beastly.

"I thought you would never ask."

Five hours later, I was almost ready for my date and not going to lie, I felt sick. It didn't help that the evening itself felt like grains of sand in an hourglass, slowly trickling down. My hands kept smoothing at my jeans, the sweat making them feel slimy.

Caine hadn't messaged since the agreed date, although he didn't exactly have any need to, whilst Bryon's message had spun round and round in my mind as if a scratched cd, unable to move forward.

8:04 pm flashed angrily on my bedside alarm clock and I took yet another look in the mirror. I looked great, the silvery grey lace blouse drifted softly over my skin, fitting my curves beautifully. My dark blue jeans continued the silhouette the blouse had started and Liza had been right, the heels blended the entire outfit together perfectly. My blonde hair fell in curls framing my face, for once behaving themselves and the smoky eyeshadow made my blue eyes sparkle brighter.

"Holy shit," Liza's voice pulled me from the mirror as I turned to face her, a hesitant smile on my face.

"Do I look alright?"

"You look amazing! Caine won't even remember the lace nightie the second he sees you," she replied, making my stomach drop out instantly. I had almost forgotten about the poor choices that had preceded this date. What if that's all he remembered? What if that's the only reason he wanted to have this date?