Chapter 5 - Missions and Miracles

Chapter 5 – Missions and Miracles

Edric's POV

I was walking out of town with a quest paper in my hand, I asked the innkeeper to read it to me, according to him it's a quest to eliminate a group of goblins that have settled in the forest near town. What is a goblin in the anyway?

"Excuse me sir knight." I heard someone calling me, when I turned around I was face to face with a woman holding a boy in her arms.

"How may I help you miss?" I asked the woman.

"It is true? Is it true that you healed a blind man?" The woman asked me.

What is she talking about? Yes, I healed an injured beggar, but I doubt very much that I can cure blindness.

"Miss, all I did was heal that man's injuries; please don't believe the rumors that spread around." I said as I turned around, but the woman grabbed my wrist.

"Please, my son is sick! I don't know how much longer he has to live! Please help him!" The woman said with tears in her eyes.

Hearing this, I paid more attention to the boy the woman was holding, he was sickly pale, there were dark circles under his eyes, his fingernails were discolored and he was dangerously thin. Once again I was reminded of the Defilement Valley, so many sick, physically and mentally, abandoned by the world and left to rot.

"Fine." I held my Talisman of God in one hand and placed the other on the boy's head, then cast Recovery.

"It's done." I said to the woman as I walked away, I hope she doesn't blame me for anything that happened.

If Edric had waited a few more seconds, he would have noticed that the boy's appearance began to change; the color returned to his skin, the dark circles disappeared from his eyes, suddenly the boy's eyes opened.

"Mommy? What happened?" The boy asked his mother who looked at him with tears in her eyes; she just hugged her son tighter.

"Thanks! Thanks!" The mother called out to the knight, but when she looked around, he was already gone.

Edric's POV

Looks like this is the place, I thought as I hid in the middle of the forest bushes, in front of me there was a small camp made up of tents made of wood, bones and fabrics, the camp was set up in a circle with a large tent in the center and three smaller tents around.

The camp was inhabited by small creatures with green skin, with pointed ears and noses, they were equipped with armor made of worn pieces of leather, daggers and bent and rusty swords, and some of them wore pieces of bone as armor and covered themselves with rags.

This shouldn't be so difficult. But how will I prove to the guild that I killed the Goblins? Maybe if I take their heads? It should do. I equipped the Guillotine Ax in my right hand and the Silver Catalyst in my left hand, and then I pointed the catalyst at the camp and cast Flame Throw several times.

Fire rays flew and hit the tents of the camp, the goblins when they saw this began to panic and tried to put out the fire, then I cast Cloak, becoming invisible, I ran towards the camp.

The goblins were caught unprepared, fire bolts came out of nowhere and set their camp on fire, the goblins tried to put out the fire, but unfortunately there wasn't enough water in their camp for that. Two goblins were in front of a burning tent without knowing what to do, suddenly the head of one of the goblins was separated from its body, and the head flew until it hit the ground a few meters ahead.

The remaining goblins looked scared at their comrade's body that fell to the ground, but there was something strange, part of the blood that spurted from the body when the head was cut off seemed to be floating, suddenly the thing where the blood had splattered revealed itself, it was a knight named Edric carrying a great ax with a short handle, the goblins quickly drew a dagger and leapt towards Edric, he should have run instead.