Chapter 1 - Ellie

"Shit." I look down at my feet. The heel snapped off my favourite pair of Stilettos. I crane my head to the sky.

 "Really? You just won't let me catch a break, will you?"

 This morning has been anything but simple. I drank spoiled milk by mistake, missed the subway, and broke my shoe, all while trying to get to the only interview I've been offered since finishing my degree in Marketing. Sure, it's an Assistant Job, but I need to start anywhere. Between my student loans, rent and necessities, the money I saved in College is slowly dwindling, and I refuse to ask my parents for help. I need to do this on my own. I'm twenty - four years old and taking charge of my own life. Right? 

So now I stand with one flat and one heel in the middle of New York City. Knowing that I must break the other one kills me, but what can I do? I snap it off and promise that when I land this job and get my first paycheck, I'll put a little aside to get a new pair. 

Slipping it back on, I rush towards the crosswalk. The remainder of the walk to Elite is quick, and I hug my arms around my body, the winter chill reminding me that summer is long gone. My nerves start to take over. Getting into this building is like trying to meet with the President, scanning your belongings and yourself, and being asked who you are here to see and why. I breathe a sigh of relief when I push the button for the elevator, thankful that the ride provides me some time to collect myself. 

Elite is one of the country's best, if not the best, Marketing and PR agencies. Its clients include celebrities, sports stars, and even energy drink companies. Anyone who's anyone wants to be taken care of by Elite. 

I take a deep breath and make my way to the Reception desk. An older woman with pepper grey hair and warm brown eyes looks up at me, and I feel the knot in my stomach ease some.

"Hi, Ellie Hudson, for Mr Stone." I push the bag's strap higher against my shoulder and straighten my back, trying to seem more confident than I feel. 

"Yes, I can see your appointment here; if you don't mind taking a seat, I will get you when he's ready." She smiles again as she gestures to the chairs lining the massive window overlooking New York City. Talk about a million-dollar view.

I take a seat and look around the space. The walls are a soft grey. Light wood panelling lines the ceiling. The reception desk showcases a beautiful floral arrangement. Even the chair I'm sitting in feels worth one thousand dollars. But with Elite's money, I don't doubt it did. The large area is impressive and partially intimidating, especially for someone currently wearing broken shoes and is desperate for a job. 

I bite my lip as my nerves return, this time even stronger than they once were. I should probably ask to use the restroom and freshen up before I make my way into the office of a man that will take one look at me and send me back on my way. My initial confidence from my walk here dwindles with every second that passes. I hear my name just as I'm about to sweat through my outfit. I look up to see the receptionist walk towards me.

"Right this way Ms Hudson." She gestures for me to follow her through a large hallway towards two large black doors and asks me to wait outside until she gestures for me to enter. 

"I'm Tina by the way Hun. And don't worry, his bark is worse than his bite." She winks, and I swallow. Hard. 

"Nice to meet you, Tina," I reply, but I'm unsure if she hears me because she's already opening the door and waiting for me to pass through it. I take another deep breath and plaster a smile onto my face, but when I look up, my smile falters as I am met with the most handsome; no, that doesn't even do him justice, the most stunningly beautiful man I've ever seen. He looks tall, has short dark hair styled to perfection, green eyes you could get lost in, and tattoos peeking under the sleeves of his perfectly tailored suit. He looks like a mix of Henry Cavil and Theo James. Mouth meets the floor. 

I swallow my tongue back into my mouth; I'm sure some inaudible sound may have escaped my throat as I shamefully took my time perusing his features. I'm ushered forward towards Mr Stone's desk. Clearing my throat, I take his extended hand in mine, and the warmth of his touch makes my heart beat faster.