13: Erilyn

I woke to the feeling of someone running fingers through my hair. It was weirdly comforting and I almost ignored it, but then I realized that there was someone touching me, in my room. My eyes immediately opened and I looked up to see who my intruder was. I relaxed though when I saw it was Dimitri. "You looked like you were having a nightmare, tossing and turning like you were."

"I was." I told him, sitting up. "But that's nothing new." He smirked, getting up and bringing me a tray. It had a cup of tea on it and a large bowl of soup.

"You slept the morning away, but you should still have some lunch."

"You know I'm not going to be able to finish this." I said as I looked at the size of the bowl. Dimitri had been kind enough to start small with my serving sizes, but they kept on increasing faster than my stomach. And I still couldn't eat more than one meal a day.

"Eat what you can." His demand was humorous. Here I was, apparently a member of royalty, and I was being ordered around by a tailor.

"Never would have thought..." I said aloud. Dimitri turned and looked at me, but didn't say anything. Dimitri was more of the listener type anyway. I quickly ate what I could of the soup, surprised by how much I was able to eat this time around. 

"You received a letter from Lord Varen." Dimitri went over to my desk and grabbed the letter, bringing it over. I shifted to get comfy and opened the letter, popping a bite of bread in my mouth.

Dear Princess Erilyn,

You have been invited to the Hummingbird Palace to celebrate Prince Varen's  upcoming birthday. We will be hosting a glorious ball with fine music and delectable food. It will be a masquerade. We look forward to your attendance.

The Nicaroff Family

"Lord Varen also sent this with the messenger that arrived this morning" Dimitri said, handing me a small package. I looked up at Dimitri, confused as to why Varen didn't give it to me yesterday, but I didn't question it. The package was relatively small and thin. I shook it, smiling. "You're entertained."

"It's a wrapped present. It's been a while." He chuckled at my childishness and went over to the closet to pick out my outfit for the day. I carefully pulled the paper wrapping from the box, turning it over in my hand before opening it. A necklace fell down into my lap, a simple choker made from some kind of black metal, but woven into vines. There were roses also wrapped into the choker with emeralds embedded into their leaves. "Can you make me a dress to match this? Something extravagant for a masquerade ball?" Dimitri came over to me, a pair of pants and a shirt hanging from his arm. He looked at the choker and his eyes widened.

"Wow, that is a magnificent piece." I grinned as he studied it, and I could faintly hear the gears turning in his head as he began designing in his mind.

"Take it with you when you go. Then you can use it for the design." He nodded, taking the choker and putting the clothing he had picked out on my bed. His eyes never left the choker, not even as he silently left the room. I laughed, watching him go. Then I turned back to the box and saw a letter within it.

Dearest Erilyn,

Hope this finds you well. I saw that choker on my way home and thought it would suit you. I hoped you would wear it to the ball, but if not I'm sure you'll look astounding anyway.

I talked with my family about courting you. Let's just say my father was not all that thrilled. Actually, he was enraged. Be careful when you come. Be sure to bring your sword. Lord knows what he may have planned.