Chapter Seventeen: Mission- Save Christmas

After changing into street clothes and collecting the jet pack from my office, I was ready to leave my husband and daughter to go get Dad... To save Christmas.

"All ready?" I hear Bernard call from down the hall as I place the jet pack onto the roof from our bedroom window.

I nod and bite my lip, trying not to cry at the sight of my little family bidding me farewell. "This is the first time I'm leaving you two."

"You'll be home soon, Clara. It's for a good cause. You're saving Christmas for all of the kids in the world. We'll be here waiting for you to get back, I promise. We're not going anywhere," he chuckled at the end causing my tears to fade away.

"I love you, B," I smiled while giving him a hug, without crushing Holly of course.

"I love you to the South Pole and back, doll," he said before giving me a long kiss.

We pulled away and it was finally time to leave my babies. I climbed onto the roof through the window and situated the giant contraption onto my back. "Over and out, Number One."

"I'll see you soon, partner."

I laughed before blasting off into the sky, the speed of the jet pack too fast for even the toy soldiers outside of our house to react. The barrier above opened and I soared into the snowy skies above, leaving behind my home for the first time in years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trip was long and rough with snow blowing into my face and the jetpack making weird noises that resulted in a few pit stops for small repairs.

I had just finally landed in the front yard outside of Mom and Neil's house and I couldn't help but smile up at the familiar place I used to call home.

I placed the jet pack down in front of the garage and made my way up to the front door. I knocked and could hear Dad's voice from inside already with a little girl's voice following.

The front door opened and a little girl with red hair and Christmas pajamas stood looking up at me with a weird look.

"Hello, Lucy," I smiled and carefully put out my mittened hand for her to shake.

"H--Hi. How do you know my name?" She asked while shaking my hand.

"I'm Clara. Charlie's sister and your half-sister. It's nice to meet you finally, Lucy."

"Clara? I've seen your pictures! Uncle Scott!" She shouted excitedly before pulling me into the house.

"Lucy! What's the matter? What's going o-" He stopped once he saw my figure standing in the middle of the dining room holding my helmet in my hands.

"Clara? What are you doing here, Sweetheart?" He asked before pulling me into him and squeezing tightly.

After our embrace, I gave him a look that I hope he could read. "It's about the... plant."

"The plant? What's wrong with the--" He stopped and looked down at Lucy staring at me with the cutest most curious eyes. "Lucy... I think it's time to get to bed. Santa's not going to come if you're still awake."

She looked a little sad but her sadness changed once she thought of the thought of Christmas. "Oh, all right. I'll be seven soon, then I can know things. Goodnight, Clara. Good night, Uncle Scott."

She ran up the stairs, leaving me and Dad ready to talk with one another about the real issue here.

"What's goin' on, Clara? What's wrong?" He asked, placing his hands on his hips.