2- Homeoming

The plane was finally landed. One hundred miles and one right turn into the vast nowhere to reach our destination.
For now though we were sitting on the private plane at a tiny regional airport; The trip had taken us almost 3 days, so far anyways.
Grey stretched standing up looking out a window "Right then, I'll drive from here. Looks like they have the trucks loaded except for Bane."

"You'll have Alfie, Jess, and Lilly in the Escape. Nemo, Dan you guys are taking Nemo's Truck. Jake your with me in the Blazer." I pointed to the awaiting vehicles.
For a small airport it had top notch service and security, not to mention Mrs V's Kitchen, the small Cafe in front of the airport. I knew the owner and her husband, Tha Vazquez Family were friends.
Jessy fussed "I haven't gotten to drive this whole trip!"
"Jess, the SatNav isn't going to help here at all. The whole forest here is a odd blindspot. Even if you were the middle you could get lost easily. Nemo what happened to Tomtom?" I snickered recalling my sixteenth birthday

"Oh TomTom was awful. We had gone on a camping trip for Reapers birthday. The whole way home TomTom demanded Joe turn around, well TomTom flew out the window and still probably lays in the woods somewhere." He weazed through laughter.

"Sounds like when Reaper played softball with the smart TV" Jessy giggled

"HEY! That thing was watching me! Dad texted Jake and told him I was watching Naked & Afraid again!" I defended myself standing up. The plane exploded with boisterous laughter.

We got off the plane, walking to Banes crate I opened it letting him loose.
"Welcome to Whippoorwill Hollow, That's what this whole region is called." I held my hands up as if to show the horizon off.

A Shorter man approached us he smiled at us, wheeling Banes Crate back into the hanger. I always called it the plane garage as a child, it just made more sense since the planes weren't hung up but parked.
"Thanks Levi! Tell Mrs Vazquez I'm back in the region?" I yelled after him. He nodded not much for words.

Dan sauntered up to me having crinkled his nose "I smell cat piss."
"Thems the Cedar Trees, its worse here than in Home, by far." I snickered as Nemo nodded in agreement. It was a very strong smell here. At home the old oaks and elms broke up the smell "I don't know why they're worse here Dan." I awnsered his question before he could ask it

"Fifty bucks Reaper could take Dan" Nemo chuckled
"A hundred." Jake goaded, he didn't like flying & Dan had made the ride worse
"Ten on Dan." Grey gave me a wink
"Thanks Grey!' Dan laughed
"I think he's too scared." I laughed.
"Are we ready to roll again?"
Giving a fist bump to Nemo, and Dan held my face to state me down we got into our vehicles, I pulled out first.
....

After a short while on the road Jake asked me "Is the lead car always Two People?"
"No that's just how it happened this time, Nemo's Truck we left in Europe, only has two working belts."
"Are they the same Truck?"
" The one in Europe is a 1981 GMC Sierra Grande, this one is a 1986 step-side GMC Sierra Grande 4×4." I rattled off
"And this one?"
"A '93 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer two door. I dont know the newer truck, its a 2000 something Ford Escape."
"It's all deep forest." He remarked about the scenery
"All the way there. There's a small hamlet close that has a grocery, gas, hunting and fishing supplies, a small library and a cemetery about an hour from our Gate."
My phone buzzed in Jake's pocket
"It's your Dad, he said everything's cooking." Jake smiled "What's Venison?"
"Deer. Bambi's mom was food!" I howled making Bane howl. His ears must still be sore.
The CB under my radio turned to channel 8 came to life with Uncle Grey's voice "They still work Alfie! Truck 1 to 2 come on."
I laughed grabbing the mic turning my radio on making the oldb tape deck play
CW McCalls "Convoy"
Holding the mic button I sang along, the others joined in; this was the fun we all used to have.
Back in the day, before that first text or before I even knew who Hannah was; No Ages before that.
Dad would have his friend Garth come and stay with us back then every so often.
For a weird guy Garth was always in tune with us kids, doing karaoke on the CB was one of my favorite Garth Memories.
I loved singing, but in the last couple of years I hadn't much.
Unfortunately it had been years since we'd heard from Nemo's adopters but Nemo wouldn't hide news like that if he knew anything.
Bringing me out of my memory. Jake's hand was on my shoulder as we crossed a covered bridge.
"Nemo said it was good hearing you sing again. I liked it too"
"I love that you like it" I said blushing as Jake hooked up the old cd player adapter, I'd never upgrade this old radio, I had to many old cassette tapes but I did make sure Dad threw my CD Player with the adapter into the truck before we flew out of Egypt.
Jake browsed through my disc collection pulling one out his eyes filled with excitement "Sing this with me?" He asked cueing a song up
'Who says you can't go home' by Bon Jovi and Jenn Nettles blared through my speakers.
I grabbed the CB Mic "Nemo sing Back Up!"
I laughed as we sang the song.
......