Chapter Seven

**Sorry I was sick all last week so didn't get around to editing a few things and publshing. But here it is!**

Standing outside of the house she hasn't been to since that night Lily remembered the many memories she and James had created in the house before everything was destroyed.

She could still remember the day James brought her to this house, it had been in the family for generations, his parents had told them to go look at the properties and pick one to start a family in. This was the third house James had shown her and she had fallen in love with it.

She had loved the low brick fence and the little gate that opened up to the stone pathway. She remembered imagining their future kids playing in the small front yard while she tended to the flower bed at the front of the house.

Pushing the gate open Lily looked at the overgrown grass and the dead flowers in the garden beds. Looking towards the front door she let a small smile pull at her lips as a memory came to her.

-September 1978-

"Are you sure we can't just magic the door blue?" James asked, pouting lightly as he laid his head against the brick of the house after carrying the paint cans to the door.

"No, this is more fun James, trust me." Lily said laughing as she handed James a paint roller, "Paint your half and I'll paint mine. Do the primer first."

"What's in it for me?" James asked folding his arms with a smirk

"I will let you go out with Sirius and Remus instead of going shopping for decor items."

"You mean shopping for random things to fill the empty places? Deal. Though if you see-"

"Any stag, dog, or wolf items get them. I know."

"Alright let's paint." James said grinning as he pushed off from the wall and dipped his roller in the paint.

Two days later they were hanging the newly painted dark blue door on its hinges.

Blinking away the memory Lily found herself staring at the broken door as she stood in the doorway. The door was barely hanging on its hinges and had holes in it now, clearly rotting away despite the protections Jamse had put on it years ago.

Stepping inside the house she looked at the U-shaped staircase directly in front of the door then turned away from it to look to her right where the living room was.

The brown sofa faced the fireplace while the loveseat was in front of the picture window that looked out to the front yard. One of the many blankets she had always kept in reach was still thrown on the loveseat and there were toys still on the floor that James apparently hadn't packed or cleaned up.

Stepping further into the room Lily remembered telling James she was pregnant.

-January 1980-

Lily had been home alone for three days while James was out with the Order. She knew Sirius would do everything to make sure James returned home, but it did little to soothe her as she continued to pace and worry. It was nearing ten in the evening, Lily was just about to lay down for the night when the front door opened.

"It's me." James said just loud enough that Lily would have been able to hear it from upstairs had she been up there. She didn't waste much more than a second to set her mug down before she was running out of the kitchen to James as he was toeing off his shoes still.

James had stumbled from the unexpected weight, but had righted himself quickly and Lily didn't waste another second to tell him the news.

"I'm pregnant." She told him pulling away to look at him