bad feelings and bad fathers

You really didn't know how to feel about this whole ordeal it hasn't exactly set in that you would never see your mother or Charlie yet. And both of them dying in such a close period of time was even harder. Charlie didn't have much family but he had a wonderful mother you had meet her a couple times, she was great. Now this means he would have a nice funeral, and you would be attending.

Your mothers funeral would not be so nice you hardly had enough money for anything only just barely being able to pay rent. And how would you take care of Alex?

No... Dread was what you felt in that moment. Would he go to your father? Would it be safe?? Absolutely not, you couldn't let him go to your father God knows what kind of shit he'll go through there. You wanted to be the one to take care of him. Even if you could hardly afford to take care of yourself. You would be a better father then he would ever be.

Knock knock.

You sat up from off the couch and looked through the peephole. He didn't look like he would murder you. You opened the door.

"Is there something I can help you with?" You asked. He might be one of the people who was working with the police.

"You are y/n l/n right?" You nodded. "Then Alex l/n is here right?"

Oh god please no.. Don't take him..

"Yeah, he's here..." You said quietly. You didn't want him to go. Especially not to your father. Maybe your aunt, even better he stayed with you. "Are you going to take him..?"

"Not exactly." You gave him a questioning look. "I need to speak to him then you about his current living status, also about what will happen to your mothers assets." You slowly nodded and opened the door wider and stepped back for him to come inside.

----------
"So since Alex's mother is no longer with us that means he would stay with his father." The pit in your stomach grew.

"Yes but can't he stay with me? Our dad doesn't really want to be our dad. Like at all..."

"Yeah I don't really wanna stay with our father... Cant I just stay with y/n?" Alex said in a sad tone.

"Yeah I don't see why he can't stay with me.. I've got a job I've got a place I can drive too." You tried persuading.

"As much as I would like to say yes since the mother is deseced custody would go to the other parent."

"Yeah but what if the other parents dosnt want him? Where would he go?"

"Where ever we or the parent places him."

"Then why can't you place him with me?? I would be great and I would actually take care of him."

"I'll see what I can do about it.." The man rubbed his neck.

--------

You, Alex and the man whose name was actually Mr. Morgan would be paying a visit to your father. He would interview him to see if he was a suitable parent, then he would also Interview you. You really hoped he made a fool of himself. You knew he didn't want Alex but he would want him just beacsue you wanted him. He was just that kind of person. A complete asshole.

Mr. Morgan knocked on his door his house was already a red flag and was in the most dangerous part of the city. It took your father a few minutes to open the door... And he came out with a bottle in his hand... There was no possible way they would let Alex stay with him after seeing the state the house was in.

"Who the fuck are you, and why are you with my kids?" He put the emphasis on my. He must've thought this was moms boyfriend or something. Mom..

"Hello Mr. L/n , I'm a social worker I'm here to see if your suitable to take care of Alex." Mr. Morgan looked you in the eyes and seemed to be sending a message to you. 'your winning'.

"Huh what do you mean? Why isn't he with his mother?" He was confused and his speech was slightly slurred.

"I texted you a couple days ago what happened... If you read it you would know." You said coldly. He just glared at you and sighed.

"Can we come inside I need to check the.. House." Your father just nodded and stepped back to let him in you would walk infront of him, you refused and waited till he got the message and moved into the living room. You and Alex made your way in after.

--------
The house was awful not only was there literally no furniture aside from a futon and a dresser, there was no food in the house. (other than canned stuff no one eats) The place was an over all mess clothes, take out boxes, bottles and cans everywhere. There was no way you could lose to him. He was a reck and he did it to himself so you felt no remorse for him.

"So uh... I'm going to have the kids wait in the car while I ask you a few questions. Is that alright?" The sober man asked.

"Yeah yeah sure I'll walk them out.." The other man didn't have time to respond. You were already walking away from your father who was Herding you and Alex out the door like sheep. You didn't want to be near him.

He walked outside with you and closed the door to make sure the other man didn't hear what he was about to say. "What were you thinking bringing him here? You trying to make a fool out of me?!" He whisper yelled at you and grabbed you by the collar.

"Alex, get in the car." You said in a unbothered tone. And he quickly abided.  "It wasn't my idea it was required. Your the other parent so maybe you should act like it!" You raised your voice and pushed him off you. "If you ever lay your hands on me again I'll fucking break ever one of your fingers and run you over." You flipped him of as you walked over to the car. He just looked shocked. He didn't know what to say and just went back inside.

It didn't take to long for mr Morgan to exit the place and hop into the car.

He sighed. "All I can say is that it would not be ideal to have a child living with him.." you smiled to yourself.

You were going to be the one who took care of Alex you weren't going to let anything happen to him. You would be getting more hours since Charlie is no longer there, until they find a replacement. And you would ask for a raise and guilt trip your boss into making it happen.