Chapter 11: Escape Pt. 2

Fear, anxiety, and doubt is like an untrained orchestra, where each instrument tries to perform a solo at the same time. Silence in the room acts like the maestro, leading my thoughts into a deafening crescendo.

'What if no one comes?'

'What if they leave me to rot?'

'What if the door opens and I get crushed?'  

This last thought is constant. I try to take a deep breath, but the dresser is pressed close to my ribs. Despite the cramped space I somehow manage to breathe. 

If the door swings into the room, it will push the dresser over. If it opens outward, then my captor will have to push the dresser out of the way. Either way I won't get crushed.

I try to rationionalize this once again, but fear is persistent. 

What's even worse is the waiting. Imagine being bored to death, but in a cramped position, with a million pounds of adrenaline getting dumped in your blood. 

While the orchestra in my mind plays it's cacophony, my muscles protest the cramped position. I ignore my shaking legs and remain standing upright.

Suddenly my ears sharpen at the sound of  a long creeaak followed by a short thud. 

It's time.

I can barely hear anything at all as I push my ear close to the door. Footsteps and muffled voices travel down the hallway. 

My heart pounds so hard, I feel the blood pump in my face. 

"She is going to be confused. Calm her down and get her dressed. I'll wait outside." Says a curt male voice.

"Yes sir..." a quiet feminine voice responds.

Seconds later, keys jostle and I hear a click. My arms and legs go rigid. I clench my makeshift knife like it's the only thing heavy enough to anchor me on this planet.

I can't see what's happening, but I can picture everything as the door slightly opens and is abruptly halted as it bashes into the dresser.  I feel the wood vibrate in my chest. I let out a quiet breath, heart pounding like a jackhammer.  

"Sir... I can't get in." says the female.

"What do you mean? Just open the door." Says the male impatiently. 

Again the door opens slightly, and again it's stopped by the dresser.

"There's something blocking the door. It's too heavy!" The girl says, her voice squeaking at the end. 

"Let me see." The man says gruffly. 

The door crashes into the dresser with an enormous amount of force. The impact reverberates through my body almost making me gasp. I inhale in small short breaths careful not to make a sound. 

The dresser's still intact, but I don't think for much longer. 

"Sarah." The guy says shortly. "We aren't gonna hurt you. If you would please cooperate we can all get on with our day."

There is something in his voice that makes me grit my teeth. He sounds impatient. I know it's the least of my problems, but it's insulting. I'm fighting for my life, and he's ready to get onto the next kill it seems. Still I don't make a sound, lest I give away my hiding spot.

The impatient man is met with silence. He grumbles something to the girl, but I can't make out the words. 

"Fine..." He says exasperated. "If you're even listening, move away from the door."

With barely enough time to blink the door strikes the heavy wooden dresser with an explosion of force. As everything starts crashing, time seems to slow down. The scene plays out in front of me, gradually, like an unhurried performance. Time seems to slow down, and things move in a way that remind me of running in a dream. 

Wood barely grazes my breasts as the dresser falls slowly to the ground. There is a loud crash followed by a cloud of splinters. My eyes are so focused, I can see where each and every individual piece will land. My head jerks to the door and I see a man slowly walking into the room. 

Time resumes it's normal speed, and I'm snapped back into high alert. A young girl follows behind the man, but I don't get a good look at them as they immediately turn towards the bed. 

Now's my only chance!

 Without another thought I sneak out of the room. 

As soon as I enter the hallway I notice it's painfully bright. A torch glares intensely in the hallway and I can barely make out the shape of a door. It hurts to stare, like staring at the sun, so I look away. A headache forms as I sneak deeper into the hallway. No matter where I look the penetrating light sears my retinas. I keep walking, but the severity gets worse with each step. I decide that the only way forward is to close my eyes. 

"Where did she go?" Says the man. His voice is loud, and alert. 

I don't stick around to hear the rest of their conversation. I quicken my pace walking blindly through the corridor. All I have to do is make it to the door.

A familiar itch tingles my nose. 

'Not again.'

I move faster, disturbed by yet another sudden rash.  It's on my nose, in my cheeks, just like before. By the time I've taken ten steps the itching is so severe, it burns.

'Ignore it.'

I think to myself. 

As soon as I think it, the burning stops, and the headache is gone. I open my eyes with relief, but the sight of the hallway makes me dizzy. Instead of a brightly lit corridor it's now dark and full of shadows. It was too bright a second ago, and now it's dark again?

Who turned out the lights? 

About a hundred feet away a torch rests in an iron sconce. The same torch I saw earlier, only now it's bearable to look at. It's light casts shadows that dance around my feet. Next to it is the door. 

Behind me I hear the guy and the girl talking. 

"I smell her, so she's close. Warn the staff, but not the council." 

"Yes sir." 

"Don't try to catch her, but don't let her get too far."

"Yes sir."

"Go!" He barks. 

At that, I sprint for the door throwing caution to the wind. My bare feet pound loudly against the stone. My legs move swiftly, my arms pump harshly back and forth. When I make it to the door my breaths are ragged.

My left hand grabs the handle and the door flies open.