three

»»--⍟--««

»»--⍟--««

.03 | hope

Trigger Warning: mention of suicide }

𝙁𝙧𝙚𝙮𝙖 𝙖𝙗𝙧𝙪𝙥𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 to an unbearable ear-piercing melody of beeps that nearly shattered her eardrums. 

Letting out a groan, she threw off her covers and made her way through the darkness to find her phone, clumsily pressing down on the snooze button before retreating to bed.

The alarm might as well have been a jackhammer right outside her window. 

In just five days, she would begin her first shift. 

Despite knowing that working at night was part of the job, she couldn't help but feel frustrated by how strongly her body resisted the idea of a nocturnal schedule. 

However, her frustration was insignificant compared to her excitement.

Although she had conflicting emotions and concerns about Jax's presence, she was determined not to let him rob her of her happiness.

After two more snoozes, she got up wearing black drawstring pajama shorts and a cotton shirt with a punk rock band logo from her teenage years. "I'm up, I'm up.." She turned off the snooze reminder with a groan.

Upon hearing a car door closing, she carefully treaded across the frigid wooden floor, curiosity urging her towards the window. Peering through the thick curtains, she observed the driveway below, illuminated by the dim, yellow glow of the street lamps.

The eerie ambiance cast an otherworldly tint on the evening sky. 

Freya was staying with her aunt for the week because the owner of her condominium wanted to use his tax return to upgrade the units with a fresh coat of paint and new appliances. Normally, she would have been thrilled, but it fell the same week of her adjustment period.

She was grateful her aunt offered her the spare guest room to adjust to the night shift, but nothing compared to the comfort of her own space.

Her aunt's house was one of those Victorian-style homes with a spacious front porch, grand white columns, a steep roof, and charming bay windows. It was undeniably beautiful, but its immense size seemed to overshadow the entire neighborhood.