1 - Kokushibo

WELCOME TO GROWTH AND MALADY, A CONTINUATION OF SECOND CHANCES

Just a bit of context, this chapter starts a day or two before the epilogue of Second Chances. I have also never written from Kokushibo or Muzan's POVs, nor have I read enough of the manga to understand their personalities very well. So I apologize in advance if I don't get them right. Please give me pointers if I mess up! (Especially if there's something I don't understand about Muzan's illness that he had as a human)

I led Muzan into the small house, keeping one eye on him as he stood in the open doorway, looking over the first room with an unimpressed expression. It briefly crossed my mind to make him come inside, and be more stern with the man who had controlled myself and the other uppermoons for centuries. Against my better judgment, I let the silent tension in the room heat slowly to a boil.

My own eyes, two now instead of six, examined the humble living conditions the home offered. A small couch with enough room for two or three people was set up against one wall, small tables on either side it. The kitchen held no more than the necessities, and I made a mental note to buy the proper cooking tools and utensils. We had been provided a large pot, a pair of bowls, and two sets of reusable wooden chopsticks.

I smoothed out my haori, straightening up and turning to face my 'roommate' again. He hadn't moved from his spot in the doorframe, long strands of black hair framing his pale face. Our eyes met for a moment, and in those few seconds, I could've sworn the light from outside made him look even better looking than ten seconds prior.

No one who met him could deny that Kibutsuji was any less than handsome. Some individuals may even describe him as 'hot', or whatever the term was now. Shaking myself mentally, I broke the contact by busying myself with searching for other things that might have been left for us.

When I looked up from trying to find mattresses, the former demon king was sitting quietly by the low dining table. I shouldn't leave him unsupervised. I cautioned myself. The others trust me to keep Kibutsuji contained.

"I'm not a child," Muzan informed me flatly, his soft voice feathering over the words. "You don't need to supervise me."

Truth be told, it was strange that he seemed to know what I was thinking, and it did throw me off momentarily. Brushing it off as it being obvious I couldn't leave him alone, I retreated into the adjacent hallway to search the other rooms. There were only two, a bathroom and an empty bedroom. The small closet in the latter had everything I had been searching for, a few shikibuton mattresses and a small clothes rack.

I was a bit put off by the fact that Muzan and I would either have to sleep in the same room, or have one of us sleep on the couch. Letting out a long sigh, I moved back out of the room to ask Muzan if he wanted the bed.

The silence broke once more, shattered by a loud thump and several wheezing coughs. Unfazed at first, I only sped up slightly to get to the main living area quicker. Peering around the corner, my eyes laid on Kibutsuji's weak form on all fours, as if he had fallen and caught himself at the last second. The corners of my mouth tilted into a frown.

I knelt by his side and waited patiently as a few more sharp exhales left his lungs. "Are you alright?" I asked.

He nodded. "Why wouldn't I be." His eyes narrowed as he looked up at me and gathered energy to stand.

"The bedroom is the door on the left," I told him. "There are mattresses in the closet. Let me know if there's anything you need."

Even if he needed it, I knew better than to offer to help. If he ever wanted it, he'd need to be the one to ask me for it.

Okay, how's the first chapter? I know it's really short, but I don't have the time or energy right now to make it any longer. Despite the rocky start, I'm really excited to write the rest of the book.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Sleep well tonight my friends - Mira