At the end

They drifted apart eventually. One by one they left, left each other and their precious lives, or so they all thought. Dazai went underground for a good while. Chuuya stayed. He stayed put in the port mafia. I also left. Whether this was a protest against Dazai or Mori, I still left. I wanted to get far away where no one would bother me, ask if I could assassinate that one person who annoyed them. I just left.

I ran away from the port mafia, hoping for a better life or maybe just a safe haven for a moment. But of course, nothing would be this simple with the port mafia. At first they tried tracking me down, soon they put their best people to the job. It wasn't that I was extremely powerful, or that I knew many things, I was an average combination of both, which apparently was dangerous. If I were to talk, they'd be screwed, if I were to build up an organisation of my own and attack, they'd he screwed. And even with my best efforts of convincing that such things aren't going to happen, I was still under an inspecting eye that followed my every step.

I walked away from that quickly, I told a story of an explosion once. I'll let them all hear the story; once upon a time someone had placed explosions around the area. They were filled with small amounts of nitroglycerin and would drop down soon. These explosions were bigger than expected, more damaging than expected, and caused more commotion than expected.

And then the bombs went off. One by one there was a loud bang and smoke rose. I escaped then and left no traces.

I ran into Dazai few times. I greeted him and on a good day he acknowledged me. On a bad day he touched my shoulder and whatever I had told a story about disappeared. I always sighed and told another story about his clothes and how once upon a time they were clean and almost like new ones. That wasn't a thank you of any sort but more of a gift of pity.

I also had run ins with the law. They didn't apparently approve my idea of peaceful living, or maybe they had been send by Mori. Either way, a simple story of how a false alarm went off in a bank was enough to make them leave me alone.

But one person I never saw was Chuuya. I don't know if he was avoiding me or if I just hanged out with wrong people, but I never saw him. Even in the port area, he was never there. I some times would hang around there for days at a time to try and spot him. 

His hat was one of my stories. It was indestructible, it would give in and bounce back every object trying to get through, it would soon recover its original colour after being burnt. It couldn't be destroyed expect by Dazai. He would touch my shoulder and then grin as the hat disappeared. Nowadays I would tell the same story once a week, whether Chuuya wanted or not. I didn't know whether he even wore it, but I didn't care, it was still his hat and I always made sure it existed. 

I missed them both. They were loud and childish but they were people I crew up with. In a way I wish I would've never left, I wish they would've never left, I wish we'd still go to the arcade together and play against each other until we didn't have money anymore and then stroll around the city. 

I wish I could return to those times.