July, 2019. Prelogue.

I never thought a boy so context with himself would find any solace in my presence. Simon Elmond from History had been invited into my friend group by his sister, Nicole, who'd in all fairness founded the group to begin with. I'd spoke to him the odd time, but after getting to know him I felt, in a way, absorbed into him. Drawn to him. He captivated me in a way I'd never expected to feel from him. My boyfriend a few months prior gave me the odd butterfly and sure I cared for him, but I longed for Simon in such a strange way. Sometimes I felt like he felt the same way. After all, he'd watch my football matches and comment on my posts with kisses and call me at night, we'd swapped clothes a few times and I could have sworn I saw him checking me out a few times, but who am I to presume, innit? He's a bit of an oddity, in a way. Like he's such a sweet guy, rarely has a word to say let alone a bad one, but he will not hesitate to snap your nose. Which I learned, when his best friend came out with "decorated little sports fags. Bet they suck eachother off in the bathrooms. 'Oh Theodore just like that' fucking freaks." in reference to Cassie and I, and I swear I'd never seen Sie look so pissed. I'd gotten the odd look, sometimes the odd comment, I mean we're at a Christian school what do you expect, but I never saw a need to lie. Like yeah mate, I like dick, now what? That was the first time Charles had ever actually come out with something like that and it was seemingly just to Jude, but it was loud enough for our fifth of the hall to hear.

And sure, he could just be a real good ally, but Sie looked personally offended by that. Perhaps by proxy? Though, come to think of it, I'd never made an effort to actually ask his sexuality. Felt too desperate. Cassper wore their bi flag badge on their blazer before they lost it high in the woods, and I think frankly the school knew I was gay before I did. But that's 'ight, they keep their mouths shut I keep their jaw connected.

Anyway, so, its July 26th. Last day of term. And we're sat by the lake. It isn't the cleanest albeit, there's algae and the occasional bit of litter, but sometimes you'll see a frog or a fish go by. At this point, it was roughly half 8 at night. And it was just Simon and I. I jolted slightly as I felt pressure on my hand, and my face felt slightly warmer when I realised why. "Is it true?" I looked at him with a confused expression.

"Is it true?"
"Is what true?"
"That you like... Y'know-"
Oh. Oh why did he have to say it like that?
"...yeah. I'm gay."
"I mean, no offence but I know. It was mostly the gay flag in your room that I saw on your lockscreen to be honest, but I knew that."
"Oh. Then what exactly are you asking?"
"Is it true that you like, y'know.. That you like me?"
He looked down with an anxious little frown and I genuinely couldn't stop myself from laughing.
"Oh my fucking God- right well, how'd you find that out? Was that also obvious?"
"Actually, Carly told me."
That bitch.
"Well, she was talking about it with Nikki and I overheard so I asked."
"Oh, right. Well then yeah, I guess. I don't know what the fuck you want me to say here, uh-" I chuckle and sigh, laying on my back beside him.
"So, now what?"

I shut my eyes and sigh, before asking what he means.

"Like do you wanna start dating now, or..?"

My eyes shoot open.
"Excuse me? Wait you- you like boy- mleh? Bleh-" I flap my tongue about and try again. "So you actually genuinely are mutually interested?"
"Theo dude we literally kissed last week, I have you pinned on snap and unless I was asleep I never leave you on delivered, hell I even made myself watch football for you. Football! Was I not obvious enough?"

I laugh and pull myself up, sitting just barely apart from him." Well, I had my suspicions. But you can't even lie and say you didn't enjoy watching."
"Maybe a tiny bit."
"Maybe a lot."
And we lean in for a kiss. Then another. Then just one or three more and he laughs.
"Anyways, Mr Ellis, are we dating or not?"
"Don't ever call me that again."
"What should I call you? Sir? Ooh, perhaps daddy?" he smiles proudly and I gag and look away.
"Yeah I'm good mate, we'll uh... Talk about that bit later. Let's take this a little slow, just to make sure."

And wouldn't you know it, August 15th 2022, I've been his boyfriend for two years and ten months. Exactly. And I love him. Hasn't been too easy and to be fair, that's just love. But he's worth it.