The Snow

I had successfully pushed through Markie Mode. She was here with me, dancing with me, and she was letting me hold her like this. I kissed her forehead, taking in her scent that I had missed so much. The grand plan was working.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," someone hissed at us. I was pulled out of my happy bubble, turning to whoever was trying to ruin my night with Markie. I groaned when I saw a drunk Jason Carver glaring at us.

"What do you want, Carver?" I snapped. I was sick of this. It was annoying when we were playing pretend, and it made me murderous now. He stumbled over to us, fixating on Markie.

"First, you break up with him. Then, you tell me you have a different date for tonight. Now, you're here with him – 'better as friends' my ass, Markie," he slurred, glowering at her. I wrapped my arm around her tighter as she shrunk into me.

"Carver – what does it matter to you?" I asked, trying to protect Markie from his gaze. He finally looked at me, wild-eyed and furious.

"Because girls like Markie aren't supposed to be with freaks like you!" he bellowed, surprising me with his force. I looked at Markie, and her face started twisting into a smile. I watched her confused, until she started cackling, pressing her face into my chest, making my heart skip. I started laughing with her as Jason's anger turned to embarrassment. She finally looked at him.

"You think Eddie's the freak? You are the only person I have ever slapped in my life, and you still think you've got a chance with me," she replied, making him flush deeper. He started stuttering, making her laugh harder. "You're a fucking creep, Jason – leave us alone."

She started pulling me away when Jason reached for her. Every ounce of hatred I harbored for him finally overtook me and I grabbed him by the throat, holding him back. I leaned close to his face.

"She said leave her alone – do you have a hearing problem?" I asked, each word forceful and full of venom. He glared at me and curled his lip.

"Fuck you, Munson," he hissed before spitting in my face. I heard Markie gasp behind me, and I seethed. I released his throat, and he looked relieved for a moment.

That was until I wound my arm back and socked him square in the left eye.

Jason stumbled backwards, falling to the ground, stunned by my reaction to him. I smirked down at him, and Markie grabbed my hand.

"Eddie – we've got to go!" she insisted, dragging me along the dance floor. I looked at her, giddy at the fact that I had finally hit Jason Carver across his face. She was looking behind me, panicked, and I glanced over my shoulder. A group of teachers was making their way through the crowd, trying to get to us. I blanched and grabbed Markie's hand, running through the crowd and grabbing her jacket off one of the tables.

We got to the hallway, and I was trying to run out of the school. Markie wobbled and yelped as she tripped over her heels, pulling her jacket on. I turned to her and smiled.

"Alright, sweetheart – hold onto your horses," I told her. She looked at me, confused, until I threw her over my shoulder and started jogging out of the school. She was shrieking with laughter, making me laugh with her, and we finally got out. The snow was still falling hard, cold biting my cheeks as I continued to laugh.

I tried to cross to the van but slipped in a tall pile of snow under one of the large trees in the front lawn of the school. We both collapsed on the ground, laughing hysterically and holding on to one another. I pulled her on top of me, careful to watch her dress. I looked up at her as she beamed at me, her cheeks pink from the natural blush she loved so much. I tucked some hair behind her ear and kept my hand on the side of her face. She grinned, leaning close to me. My heart stopped, desperately hoping that she would kiss me.