the ferret story. don't ask

Don't Bring Ferrets to School

Kayna was walking to school shielding her eyes from the harsh sun that beat on her. It was the early morning, so the sun being this hot didn't make much sense. Weird late summer weather she guessed. This was a dumb idea. This was a really dumb idea. She knew it was a dumb idea, but a dare was a dare, and she was determined to prove Sasha wrong.

"Why is your hat moving?" Daniel asked when she shuffled through the front doors.

"Nothing," She snapped in a whisper, using one hand to hold down her hat better when it wiggled again.

"Ok then!" Daniel replied. He was smart. Ignorance was bliss when the teachers tried to pull a bad cop bad cop on the suspects. There would be none, if everything went smoothly. This was really dumb.

But Sasha was also dumb, and Kayna wanted to prove that she was dumb, so she had to do a dumb thing to prove Sasha was dumb.

"Alright class," Their teacher started when she got to class. "Do your work or whatever, I don't care."

Kanya was bored and tired and this assignment was also dumb. She had to write a scary story, but she didn't get to have any scary characters? Or any scary setting? Or any gore or on screen murder? Kanya decided a lot of things were dumb that day. Maybe the assignment was dumber than Sasha. It was a stretch, but darn if the assignment wasn't learning yoga.

That joke was also dumb.

"So what's under your hat?" Caleb asked at lunch, unfazed.

"A ferret."

"A ferret?" He repeated

"A ferret," She repeated.

"Is is a murderous ferret?"

"Why would it be a murderous ferret?"

"For the foreshadowing."

"The foreshadowing of what?"

"Of the fact of the derivative of the color blue multiplied by the meta distinction between fact and fiction, stapled on some horribly dyed curtains," Caleb smiled.

"Alright then." Kanya left it at that. Ignorance was bliss when you were bored with the conversation.

She showed him the ferret, and he still had a blank face.

"Looks murderous to me."

"All ferrets look like that."

"Then I guess they're all murderers."

"Well I did draw that in preschool. They kill bunnies you know. Too bad I wasn't very good at drawing blood back then," She sighed. "Maybe I'm better at drawing blood now though, but I'd need some reference images."

The bell rang, and she frowned. Caleb did nothing more than salute her before he walked backwards into the crowd and disappeared around the corner. Now she had to go back to class and finish her dumb assignment, all with a ferret under her hat. Even though hoods weren't allowed, hats were. It was a weird system, but it helped her in this case. Because she had a ferret under her hat. Which we've established.

This is dumb. She thought again, writing her story. This is really really dumb. She scratched her head, her head did not scratch her back.

Kayna was almost relieved, but then she realized what that meant. "Oh," She jumped out of her chair, the table squeaking as it slid forwards and she pulled her hat down all the way. There was no ferret in her hat.

"Hey, can I go to the bathroom?" She asked quickly

"I don't know, can you?" The teacher asked.

Fed up with the aribray and outdated rules of language that restricted her, she ignored him, walking out of the classroom anyways. That was dumb too.

There was blood on the floor down the hallway. That was bad.

Especially because it was a tripping hazard, and blood was hard to get off the floors once it dried, which would be a pain for the janitor, who she respected and now felt bad for.

"What is it?" Caleb asked, walking down the hall with a bathroom pass wrapped around his wrist.

"Blood. Clearly," She answered, tilting her head towards it.

"I feel sorry for the janitor."

"So do I."

"Should we see what-" Caleb started.

"Yeah. Duh," She interrupted, rolling her eyes.

They walked down the hallway in the direction of the blood, being very careful not to trip, because if they tripped, they could get hurt!

"Why were you outside anyways?" Caleb asked. "You didn't have a pass."

"Yeah well it's not like I care. Those passes are gross anyways," Kanya said, before answering, "Lost my ferret."

"Oh. Well do you think it-?"

"Of course I do. It's obvious."

They ended the conversation there, picking up their steps down the hallway. It looked like the blood was pooling, meaning they were close.

There was no body, both a relief and a worry, but the ferret was there. Sitting in the red puddle.

"Oh come one that's going to be such a pain to clean out of your fur," Kayna grumbled. "Bathtime is a pain for both of us as it is."

At the word bath, the ferret perked up, seeming ready to run. To the surprise of everyone in the whole universe ever, it did, holding the keys in its mouth because ferrets steal those. They ran down the hall, easily slipping past the two kids, and got to the door before them.

"How the hell-?" The door creaked open, the ferret, sitting on the handle, jumped down quickly, not hesitating to slip through the door. It locked automatically, and they both sighed.

"I'll never get to rub it in Sasha's face now."

"And I really have to pee."

this was a very dumb assignment i was so mad about that i made it as sarcastic as i could.