Chapter One

"Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?" ~ William Shakespeare, As You Like It

London, May 1819

From the moment, that he set his eyes on her, David Phillips, Marquess of Rothsbey knew that he wanted her. Miss Dionysia Merton, the middle daughter to Viscount and Viscountess Goodwin. It all happened rather suddenly, but unexpectedly. Three months ago, He had been in a carriage accident on his way back to London from Cambridge, when she came into his line of vision. As he was treated tenderly in her care alongside his driver and two footmen, Miss Merton talked endlessly to him to keep him company. At first he wanted peace, annoyed with her persistent company, but soon found her presence rather comforting. Miss Merton was not beautiful in the sense of ideal beauty, but he did find her attractive.

Perhaps one would explain that it was his sudden attraction for her than made him want her.

And now, amongst the crush of Lady Creston's ballroom, he watched her lovingly admire the Duke of Hartwell. Hartwell, a fellow that he had known since Cambridge was the latest catch of the ton. Many overbearing mamas had dragged their daughters in hopes that one of them would be fortunate to be the mother-in-law of the Duke of Hartwell.

Hartwell at the moment was dancing with Lady Eugenia Snowcross. Lady Eugenia who was reported to have an enormous wealth was the only daughter of the Earl and Countess of Stanford. She was quite a catch.

Turning away from Lady Eugenia, he refocused his attention to Miss Merton and watched as she converted to her friend, the curvy dark-haired friend when a voice said, "Staring at her again, aren't you?"

David turned to see his best friend, Jonah Edwards, Earl of Hilton looking at him. David cocked an eyebrow, and said, "When did you arrive?"

"Moments ago," replied Hilton, "And just in time to see you ogling Miss Merton. Tell me, David, are you forever going to continue yearning for her from afar?"

David spluttered, "I was not yearning. I was just studying her."

"You are attracted to her," Hilton replied. Shaking his head, he continued. "Why don't you dance with her?"

"Because I don't dance," replied David

"Dancing with the girl you fancy should be an exception," was Hilton's reply

David narrowed his eyes. Damn Hilton for pestering him. But yet again, the sight of Miss Merton did make his heart thump, and suddenly he found his feet betraying him, and he found himself walking towards her direction and ignored Hilton's chuckle. Her black-haired friend saw him and nudged Miss Merton's attention and she then looked to David heading her direction. Her eyes, amber-gold, the color of whiskey captivated him, that by the time he reached her, he found the courage to ask, "Miss Merton, I beg that you honor me with a dance."

She looked astonished as if no one ever dared ever to ask her to dance. Good Heaven, she was beautiful as Venus. She wasn't tall or had a graceful figure. Rather she was petite, curvy, and deliciously plump. Miss Merton placed her slender hand on her chest and said to David, "I would be honored, Lord Rothsbey."

Miss Merton placed her hand on the crook of David's arm, and he led her towards the ballroom floor, where he snaked his arm around her waist and danced with her. She danced well, professionally and well taught.

"You dance beautifully," David said, fishing out compliments.

She blushed, dark red, tinting her pale cheeks and hiding those faint gold freckles.

"I thank you, Lord Rothsbey," she replied, "Though I won't go that far. My dancing has become rusty after a long time overdue practice."

"I'd be the one to judge, Miss Merton," David replied. Then he asked, "Is this your first Season?"