Chapter Three

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was rather distressing, having to admit her feelings towards Lord Rothsbey. It was also a matter of issue that it complicated things. Her newly developing feelings for His Lordship were conflicting with her already strong feelings for the Duke of Hartwell.

Dionysia sighed as she made her way towards her the Goodwin gardens. What a bloody mess this all was becoming. She paused and thought about what Clarice had told her when she broke down and admitted her woes to her best friend. Listen to your heart, was what Clarice calmly replied. Clarice, unlike her, never got too emotional. She was cool, sophisticated and dignified. It was most admirable.

But...what would listening to her heart do? She was unsure where it was leading, especially when it currently was in battle, determining which man her affections should lie to.

She had been very glad that the Louie musicale ended. Without an effort to waste, she and her mother left for home, her part, in the most cowardly fashion.

Dionysia stopped at the intertwined Cupid and Psyche fountain and stared at her reflection, thoughtfully. Cupid and Psyche was a most fascinating tale about finding eternal happiness, about the longing for eternal love. And that is what she wanted: true love and happiness.

She needed to sort out her feelings. She needed to make a decision.

"Dionysia?"

She froze, and slowly snapped her head around to find her father staring at her. With a gilded cane in his right hand, Alfred Merton, Viscount Goodwin looked thoughtfully at his middle daughter.

"You seemed to be distracted, dear," he said, kindly

"Papa," said Dionysia, "You shouldn't be here. You'll catch a chill."

Lord Goodwin cocked an silver eyebrow, and replied, "I could say the same thing of you, Dione."

Dionysia flushed.

Her father looked at her, and said, "Come, Dionysia. You looked troubled. Tell me what's on your mind."

Dionysia took her father's arm, and the two of them walked in silence around the garden. Dionysia slowed her pace to match with her father's stride. Lord Goodwin heavily depended on his cane. As they reached the bench under the apple tree, Dionysia sat with her father, as he stretched his sore leg out.

"Come now," said her father, gently, "Speak your mind to me."

Dionysia inhaled and exhaled. She hesitated and said, "I fear I might be confused with my choice of husband."

"Confused?" Lord Goodwin asked, "Have you become troubled with your heart?"

Dionysia flushed. "Yes. I can't seem to know whom I want."

Lord Goodwin raised his arm and wrapped it tightly around his daughter's shoulder in loving comfort. "Fear not, my dearest Dione. Finding love takes hard work. You might want to spent time with the gentlemen you speak of. Allow them to court you. And time will allow you realize your true love."

"I don't want the difficult route," Dionysia exclaimed.

"The course of true love never runs smooth," Lord Goodwin simply answered.

"Shakespeare. I do not appreciate an example from him," said Dionysia

"When love is not madness, it is not love," Lord Goodwin offered.

Dionysia perked, "Pedro Calderon de la Barca?"

Her father nodded. "I have become fond of his works since your mother introduced him to me."