Chapter 4

Normally a late night stroll with Katherine on the Brooklyn bridge would have been nice, romantic even. However, that was not the case for the two. Katherine hardly looked at Jack as they crossed the bridge heading toward their present destination. She kept just far enough away that Jack couldn't touch her, her arms were crossed and her head was held high in a stubborn way.

"So... what's this story about anyway?" He asked her wanting nothing more than to break the tense silence. Ugh, look at the great Jack Kelly now, making small talk with the girl he loved. Some ladies man he was.

"A break in." She said stiffly and picked up her pace.

"Oh, that's nice... so where are we going? Or do you even know?" He asked. She shot him a glare and shook her head.

"You underestimate me. We're going to a place called Willys Tar and Bar you ever been there?" She asked him and he didn't miss the nervous edge in her voice.

"No but I know a couple a Newsies who hang around there." Jack answered as they stepped off the bridge into enemy territory.

"Cool." She said shortly making Jack grind his teeth in annoyance. Jack wished they were back in her warm apartment and not out trudging their way across Brooklyn.

"Youse cold?" Jack asked her after a few silent minutes noticing the way she was hugging her ribs. It was a bit chilly out and it made Jacks cheeks hurt from where Katherine had slapped him.

"No."

"You sure I could put-"

"You are not putting your arms around me Jack Kelly." Katherine snapped and hugged herself tighter. Jack hated it when she used his full name, it made her sound like her father. He fell silent again and started paying more attention to what was around them, there was a lot of empty boxes and crates piled along the streets. There weren't many people out on the streets this time of night and that made Jack nervous. More people on the streets meant more witnesses if anyone tried to do something to you, less people... more trouble. Something caught Jacks eyes, a shadow of some sort, it had moved. Jacks hand instinctively went to Katherine's back protectively as he thought he saw a figure looming in the darkness.

"Don't touch me!" Katherine snapped and swatted his hand away from her back. "If you want to keep your hands keep them to yourself!" She hissed.

"I'm not trying to touch you! Geez I just thought I saw something move!" He said putting his hands in the air in surrender. Katherine glared at him obviously not convinced, she turned away from him and walked ahead her brown hair bouncing behind her. Jack had to sprint to catch up, she was very stubborn when she put her mind to something. As they continued to walk Jack noticed the way the buildings slowly turned from fancy Brooklyn offices to sketchy run down stores. He knew they were close. At one point Jack thought Katherine had gotten them lost and he was about to say something but just then the lights of a building caught his eye.

"Willys Tar and Bar." Jack read aloud as he took in the green sign that was being held together by mold and rust. "Sounds like a lovely place, youse sure you want ta do this Kath?"

"I never wanted to do this Kelly, it's part of my job." Katherine said pulling out her notebook. She was so formal, so sharp with him. He hated it. All he wanted was to kiss her and make her feel better. He wanted to get on his knees and beg forgiveness for what he'd done to her, he just wanted her back.

"Forget I asked." He said shoving his hands in his pockets as he followed her up the moldy steps to the bar. Why someone would break in to a place like Willys Tar and Bar Jack would never know. Katherine knocked twice on the door and waited. A few moments later the door opened blinding Jack and Katherine with a bright light.