8: The Morning After

Curtains were pulled back as a couple of servant girls wandered around the room. They set a tray of food on the table beside the bed, before waiting for the prince to awaken. The women were at the foot of the bed, cleaning up his mess from the night before, as they spoke to one another in hushed tones. He groaned in a low voice, audible only to himself, and the ghosts he shared his bed with. Behind him, the servant girls continued to behave as though he was still asleep. Being too prepared for this scene, the prince refused to move or make a sound, despite hiding his face in his pillow while he was wide awake.

He eavesdropped on their conversation, enjoying the overwhelming sharing of gossip and secrets that belonged to others.

"Clearly, the prince was far too drunk to complete the night with a sane and functioning mind," one of them whispered too freely. Duamutef's pride was bruised and he wanted to correct them for the way they spoke of him, but he knew better than to move. So, he stayed still and continued his little game.

"He has been working so hard these days, unusually hard. I am not surprised he drank more than he could handle last night." He recognised this voice. It belonged to a servant girl with an olive complexion and dark red-hair. Her voice brought back memories of herself beneath him, over and over again. Hanan was known for her discretion, and her loyalty to him after serving him since they were young adolescent fools. But even as they matured with time, the two often failed to put an end to their foolish habits of dancing in the dark together.

"It seems the royal children must put an end to working so hard then." Duamutef frowned at the other girl's words, finding them too insulting for his desire.

"And why do you think that?"

The unfamiliar maid spoke with an arrogant tone, "Another prince has been caught in a rather compromising situation."

"Who? And in what way?"

"Hapi. Apparently, the prince awoke this morning and sent his guards to retrieve a silk dress worthy of a noble's status, to dress his bed mate in." Duamutef wanted to jump at the revelation, as worry clouded his judgement. But his hangover held him down.

"Which guard? Who else knows?" Hanan asked.

"The prince's bodyguards were seen speaking to the prince and returning with a jade-coloured dress for the girl. Not too many moments later did she come out. Neith, the daughter of Akil, was who he bedded last night. And neither were discreet enough, the servant quarters are filled with the whispers of their doings."

"She is betrothed to another."

"And now she is tarnished, ruined. No one will want her know." Duamutef heard the vile tone of accusation and amusement in the servant girl's voice. Her tone had forced him to groan loudly and pretend to have just awoken.

"Out! Now!" He instructed the girl who delivered his morning meal. She nodded and whispered easily-dismissed words of apologies to him, before leaving with her hands full with his clothes from the night before.

Hanan stood before him, looking unamused and exhausted. She watched him with a bored expression as he stared back at her with a furious one. The prince groaned as he pushed the thin sheet of cloth off of himself, climbing out of his bed with his full nakedness on display to the servant girl who was too fond of him.

"Can neither of you behave after finding the bottom of your cups?" For someone who would not be affected by the scandalous situation, she seemed far more irritated at the revelation than he was. It amused him.

"Worried, my lady?"

"Do not toy with me, Duamutef," she warned him with a stern voice. She stood up and brought his clothes to him, "None of you practice precaution well enough."