30: Rushed Reunions

"It is unbecoming of a princess to run through the palace, especially in her dirty clothes." A familiar voice welcomed Nilea as she rushed from one corridor to the next, seeking out the family she had long missed. The princess turned around, her mud-stained skirt brushing the ground gently as she did. An older version of herself greeted her with a warmth that could only be described as maternal. Without thinking, Nilea ran towards her mother, jumping into her arms as she clung fiercely to the Queen Mother.

"My daughter," her mother said as they pulled apart from the embrace, she had tears sliding down her cheek. Hathor smiled at her daughter, pleased to see after a few months apart. The mother did not get the chance to bid her daughter farewell from the last time they had met, and had been sick to her stomach with worries about her child. And now, she could breathe and could teach herself to trust the King of the Celestials. The smile had quickly disappeared and was replaced with a frown as Hathor stroked her daughter's hair, "What has become of you? Your dress is dirty and your hair is a mess."

Nilea laughed, welcoming the criticisms as she answered, "I am not familiar with travelling between realms. And my landing was not swift as I ended up falling in a noble's pond. I am most certain that my dear brother will have to endure with such futile complaints."

"Always with the excuses," Hathor joked. "Of course, you would not have changed in such a short period of time. But never mind that, first, we must get you in the bath and into a new change of clothes, for you most desperately need it."

"Mama," Nilea whined lazily as her mother led her towards her former bedchamber.

"You can reunite with your father and brothers once you look presentable enough," Hathor scolded.

"Does it matter? I never looked my best for them before."

"Of course, it matters, my child," Hathor responded. "They are in the company of powerful men. You cannot appear before anyone looking this way, or you may tarnish their reputation."

There was no point in wasting one's breath to argue with their mother, so Nilea did not bother. Instead, she obeyed her mother's wishes and amused her with a bath and by wearing a gown that her mother had picked out just for her. One that the maids revealed was a dress her mother had demanded would be made for the princess when she would return to the mortal realm, that or Hathor would have bullied her father into travelling between realms to gift the dress to her child and demand for his daughter's return.

The baby pink dress hug her figure tightly, while the plunging neckline exposed the small space between her breasts to all who gazed upon her. Nilea stared at her own reflection in her mirror as her mother styled her hair. She finally looked like herself, to some extent.

"You have grown too skinny, my child. Do they not feed you there?" Hathor asked, sliding a thin, gold hair accessory in place.

Nilea shook her head, "They do. They offer plenty. It is just that..."

"You are heartbroken?" Her mother suggested, finishing her sentence for her.

"I miss you," the princess whispered. Without saying another word, Hathor embraced her daughter once more, allowing her warmth to smother her offspring, and to continue the conversation without the need for utterance.

"How long are you here for?"

"I am not sure, but I suspect I will be allowed to stay the night... if that is not too much trouble for you, mother."

Hathor gasped, "Of course, it is not too much trouble! You are my daughter, and you are worth all the trouble you could ever curate. This will always be your home, no matter where you go, and we will always be your family."