03

Odessa quietly descended the stairs, her heart pounding with anticipation

Odessa quietly descended the stairs, her heart pounding with anticipation. She knew that Tate had an appointment with Chris, and she couldn't resist the urge to eavesdrop on their conversation. As she reached the bottom of the stairs, she tiptoed towards Chris' office, careful not to make a sound.

When she arrived at the door, she peeked her head around the corner, straining to hear their conversation. The voices were muffled at first, but as she leaned in closer, she could make out the words. Tate was speaking, his voice low and measured, and Chris was listening intently.

Tate's voice was low and measured as he spoke, his eyes fixed on Chris. "So what do shrinks think about when a wildly brilliant patient doesn't talk to punish said psychiatrist?" he asked. "I bet you think about sex," he added, his tone suggestive. Chris looked taken aback, his expression guarded. Despite his surprise, he remained composed, waiting for Tate to continue.

Chris' voice was composed as he responded to Tate's suggestive comment. "Do you think about sex a lot?"
he asked, his tone neutral.

Tate didn't hesitate to reply, his gaze fixed on Chris. "I think about one girl in particular, your step daughter," he said, his words heavy with implication. "I jerk off thinking about her. A lot," Tate spoke making eye contact with her for a moment as she peeked her head around the corner, causing her to smile. "I'm not comfortable with you talking about my step daughter, Tate," Chris said.

"Don't you want to know what I do to her? How I lay her down on the bed, and I caress her soft skin make her purr like a little kitten? She's a virgin they get wet so easily" Tate sat up.

Chris' voice was calm and measured as he probed Tate about his personal thoughts and habits. "Do you turn to these thoughts to comfort yourself in times of stress?" he asked, his tone gentle. Tate didn't hesitate to respond. "Actually, yes. I jerk off a lot to make the visions go away. The blood and the carnage," he admitted, his words heavy with emotion. As the conversation continued, Tate's tone became more confrontational, accusing Chris of being a "shitty psychiatrist" and bringing up Odessa's past. Chris tried to defuse the situation, but Tate remained insistent, refusing to end the session. Finally, Chris stood his ground, firmly telling Tate that their time was up for the day.

Tate abruptly stood up from his seat and grabbed his bag, slinging it over his shoulder. As he turned to leave, Odessa looked up at him and asked, "What are you doing?" Tate leaned against the wall, his eyes fixed on her. After a moment of silence, Odessa broke the tension by asking, "Nothing, wanna go upstairs?" She looked up at him with a hopeful expression, waiting for his response.

Tate nodded in agreement, and Odessa's face lit up with a smile. She eagerly took his hand and led him up the stairs to her room. As they approached her door, Odessa pushed it open with a soft creak, and they stepped into the dimly lit room. The air was still and quiet, and the only sound was the soft rustling of their clothes as they moved across the room. The shadows cast by the dim light played across the walls, creating a surreal and dreamlike atmosphere.

Odessa sat down on her bed, her eyes fixed on Tate as he perused her bookshelf. "I still have to unpack," she said with a small smile. As Tate picked up a book, she watched him with interest. "What's this?" he asked, holding up a copy of "Gorky Park." "That's 'Gorky Park,'" Odessa replied, her voice soft and measured. "It's about someone investigating a case involving 3 corpses in some park." Tate nodded thoughtfully and sat down beside her, opening the book. Meanwhile, Odessa pulled out a copy of "The Outsiders" and lay back down next to him, her eyes flitting across the pages as she read. The room was quiet, save for the sound of their breathing and the occasional rustling of pages as they turned them.

For almost an hour, they sat together in silence, reading their books side by side. The only sounds were the faint rustling of pages and the occasional turning of a page. Suddenly, Tate's voice broke the silence. "Des, you awake?" he asked, looking down at Odessa. She was sound asleep, her head resting gently on his shoulder. A soft smile spread across his face as he gazed at her sleeping form. Careful not to wake her, he leaned back and went back to his book, content to sit in silence with her by his side.

*

Odessa slowly opened her eyes, her vision blurry in the dark, cold room. She looked around, confused and disoriented, before sitting up and wiping away the excess mascara from her eyes. After taking a deep breath, she got up to see what was on her chalkboard. It read: "Had to go home, I'll see you later." And there was a little heart at the bottom.

Later, she met up with Leah at a worn-down skating rink. "I thought you hated smoking," Odessa asked, watching Leah light a cigarette. "I've taken it up. I can't sleep. I'm terrified of everything. What attacked me wasn't human," Leah replied, exhaling a plume of smoke. "It was Tate," Odessa stated, trying to reassure her friend. "No, you saw the other thing too," Leah said, shaking her head. "He was just trying to freak us both out." Odessa frowned, unsure of what to believe. "What did you tell your parents?" she asked. "Don't worry, I told them I got attacked by some chola on Melrose who wanted my Chanel. Couldn't tell them I went to your house to score coke, could I?" Leah said, exhaling another cloud of smoke.

"How deep are your cuts?" Odessa asked, concern lacing her voice. "Deep. God, and I can't stop thinking about that mouth," Leah replied, her voice shaking. "It was a mask. He was purposely trying to terrorize you," Odessa cut her off, trying to calm her friend down.

"That hat doesn't look like you," Odessa said, eyeing the hat Leah was wearing. "It serves a purpose. Look, my hair is turning white from fear. Yeah, I read that's possible," Leah said, pausing for a moment.

"Do you believe in the devil?" she suddenly asked. "Sorta," Odessa answered hesitantly. "I do. I've looked into his eyes," Leah stated, her gaze intense as she stared at Odessa.

*

Odessa pushed her window open and grabbed a cigarette, the cool night air blowing in. Her mom and stepdad had left for the night, leaving her alone in the house. As she lit the cigarette and took a puff, Tate walked into the room. "Hey Des," he said, smiling at her. "Oh, hi Tate," Odessa replied, feeling a little nervous. "How'd you get in?" she asked, curious.

"The back door was open, and no one answered the door," he answered, sitting down on the bed. After a few puffs, Odessa squished the lipstick-stained cigarette and dropped it in the garbage. She then sat next to him, looking straight ahead, unsure of what to say next.

"Do you think I'm crazy?" Tate asked, laying back on the bed. "No, why?" Odessa asked, copying his actions. "When Leah came over, what do you think scared her?" he asked, staring straight up at the ceiling. "I think you did. I think you try to scare both of us, and she accidentally got hurt," Odessa answered, her voice soft and gentle.

"You're not mad at me?" Tate asked, his voice filled with concern. "Of course not," Odessa replied, turning her head to look at him. "Can I stay here tonight?" he asked, looking into Odessa's eyes. "Yes, you can," she answered, laying her head on his chest, feeling his steady heartbeat beneath her ear.

*

They had been lying in bed for hours before Odessa finally woke up. Her hair was a tangled mess, and her makeup was slightly smeared, evidence of their long night together. "Tate, you up?" she asked, without moving her head. "Kinda, why?" he asked, his eyes still closed. "Just wondering," she replied, looking up at him.

"Do you still want to sleep or do something?" he asked her, his fingers gliding up and down her back. "I wanna sleep and stay here with you," she answered, her voice sleepy and content. She snuggled closer to him, feeling safe and warm in his arms. The room was quiet, except for the sound of their breathing and the occasional rustle of the sheets.

Authors note

Hey guys hope you like this story so far. Please leave any ideas and anything about this story in the comments

<3