01. long-winded lies and a life of love

☆

ELEANOR CHARLOTTE SHELBY SAW HEARTS EVERYWHERE SHE WENT. No, not the anatomical type, that was far too grotesque to be seeing every second of every day. Instead, she saw the juvenile love heart shape. The kind that were often in cards or carved into the trunks of trees. Eleanor saw them all around her. They peaked out from behind the fluffy clouds above, she saw them painted on the rosy cheeks that the cold air delicately kissed, she saw them in the puddles filled with water to nourish the land, she saw them in the conjoined hands of love-struck couples walking side by side, she saw them in the glints of sunlight that pooled from the heavens and she saw them in the eyes of the children that chased after one another down the streets of Watery Lane.

Eleanor Shelby kept to herself as she flounced down the streets of Small Heath. The streets felt busier, now that all of the men had returned from the war. They now repopulated all of the factories and all of the businesses, their presence rather overwhelming. Don't get her wrong, Eleanor was happy the war was over. It meant that her brothers could come home safe and sound. It meant she was able to laugh with them and hug them as she pleased rather than just writing about it over letters. The men returning had been great but would've been even greater if they'd been okay.

Eleanor knew they weren't and even she couldn't romanticise their time away.

Tommy still had nightmares, horrible ones, ones that woke her every single time. Finn often woke up too but the two youngest Shelbys remained in their respective rooms, too afraid to move from the safety of their beds. The nightmares were usually followed by a rancid smell wafting through the walls, and Eleanor didn't want to imagine what substance created such a foul stench. Arthur, upon his arrival home, was angrier and sadder and although Eleanor had never been the brunt of his rage or his sorrow, she knew just from looking at him that they were deep-rooted, so entangled in his soul that it enraptured him completely. John had been the only one to return anything like himself but even Eleanor couldn't miss the way her older brother had begun to subtly flinch at every loud factory bang. He supposed nobody noticed but Eleanor did, she always did.

The girl hummed to herself as she weaved in and out of the crowd forming by the factories as workers ran back and forth as controlled explosions rang around the street. She stood out like a sore thumb, her spotless pink dress distinctive amongst the muted colours of the subdued Small Heath. Her hands were tightly wrapped around her schoolbooks which were loosely held together by one of John's old leather belts, her lips pressed into her signature giddy smile. She felt like a fizzing sweet, bouncing and ready to burst as she walked down the streets of her home town.

It had been a wet day, the rain had poured down from the Heavens in drops of vitality and gave life to the driest of mud and the most defunct flowers. Eleanor quite loved the rain, especially when she could skip around in it without her Aunt calling her inside. She knew it wasn't good for her health to be out in the damp and the rain whenever possible and getting soaked to the bone every time, but something about the rejuvenation rain brought and how freeing it was to twirl and dance and simply thrive was an experience she would never trade for anything ever.