Chapter 5

𝙴𝚖𝚖𝚊

"So now we have to deal with the tracking devices..." I mumbled loud enough for Norman to hear, "Yeah... And we have to find out where they are too" Norman put his hand to his chin. "And also about the shipping, is it in any special order?" I asked, "I think so. The demons said that the next few children will be high quality meat so I it is some kind of order." Norman explained

"If being six years old is ranked as normal.. Then the highest quality is probably twelve year old." He continued, "Then, what about our scores? Do you think they have something to do with it?" I asked again, "Probably, we've always gotten high scores, so that's why we're still here. And once we turn 12, we get shipped out no matter what." He stopped for a while to think.

"But why do we need to do the test? Does it develop our body?" I continued asking, "Out bodies... wait no... maybe our brains..." He stopped again. "Yes, Our brains!" He finally came to an answer
"The demons are after our brains, that's the best part of our body." He explained.
"They ray brains?" I asked myself.

"Let's think about that later, now we got to think about the rope."  Norman started, "actually, I might have an idea on where we can find one!" He said proudly.
"Wait!" I stopped Norman, "What if it's other stuff like cameras and listening devices?" I said. "Don't worry. I looked around the house yesterday and found nothing." He smiled at me

"Do you think mom knows that we went to the wall?" I asked.
"She probably knows that someone went to the gate, but not who."
Norman is so smart, of course he would say that.
"Plus, she can only see where we are when she checks the tracker. And I don't think she can see who it is when she checks it." He pointed out.

"Hey Norman! You got a sec?" Don came, "The clock in our room is broken or something" He explained to Norman, "Ah, you just got to oil it." He smiles at Don and the two ran to the room

"Conny..." I placed my hand at the wall where Conny's drawing used to be.

I felt someone beside me, making me look at them.

It was mom

𝚈/𝚗

I heard someone talk in the corridor.
Since I had nothing to do, I decided to check who it was, since it sounded like they were taking about some trackers or something.
But when I was at the corner, they stopped talking.
I looked behind the corner to see who it was.

Mom was standing right beside Emma. I saw Emma's face. She looked like she had seen a ghost, so I quickly hid behind the corner.

"What's wrong Emma? You don't look good? Come to think of it, you didn't seem like your happy cheerful self earlier?" Mom said to Emma loud enough for me to hear

It seemed like Emma was hesitating to speak, afraid if she would say something wrong.
"I just miss Conny. That's all!" She smiles at mom, which made mom smile too and pull her into a hug.

"I really hope I get adopted soon. Even tho I don't want to leave the other children here..." Emma said quietly with a sad expression on her face. "You don't want to leave huh... Is it only because of the others?" Mom asked. "It's because I love this house too! I've lived here for my entire life, and soon, I'm probably gonna get adopted! I also don't want to leave you of course!" Emma faked a smile.

"Did you hear that Conny wanted to became a mother, just like you?" Emma continued asking, "Yes, I did. And she is going to be an amazing mom." Mom smiles at Emma

"Dinner's ready." Ray came in with the bell.
"I'll be right there." Mom smiled at Ray as the other children ran out of their rooms.
When I saw that it was okay to go, I went after Ray.