V

When she was very young, Matty remembered visiting Nana Amy's house and seeing Granny Ivy sitting in her rocker by the fireplace. She loved snuggling up in her lap when the chair swayed gently. They were friends, she told the elder Sullivan, wrapping her arms around her neck.

"Friends forever," the child solemnly added.

Gently the old Granny tightened her arms about the little bundle in a loving squeeze.

Later on, Matty felt sad when Granny Ivy moved into Apple Hill House. The place by the fireplace remained empty and lonely. Matty sat on the couch with her feet barely touching the floor. She wished longingly for the days when she snuggled with the old lady in the rocking chair.

After a while, she got used to her nursing home visits. It wasn't quite the same, but they were together. That was all that mattered. Mommy and daddy made sure their time together was pleasant and fulfilling. Then COVID struck, leaving the little girl desolate and desperate for her lost time with Granny Ivy. Hoping for good news, she balefully inclined her head toward her father.

Clearing his throat again, Stephen Sullivan bought a little time before imparting the bad news. It hurt him to say it as much as it hurt his little daughter.

"I'm very sorry, sweetheart," he finally muttered, "but we won't be able to visit with Granny Ivy on Thanksgiving Day."

"Maybe we can try to face time again, Matty," Celia suggested to alleviate some pain. "Maybe it will be one of Granny's good days."

With great force of will, Matty held back her tears. Still, they flowed openly down her cheeks, splashing her favorite LITTLE MERMAID tee shirt.

"But..." she began, gulping back her emotions. "But, daddy, didn't they say on the news last night that there's a vac...vac..cine ready? Aren't they giving them to first responders and...and... older people in nursing homes first? Maybe Granny Ivy will get one, and we can all go. Can't we, daddy?"

"It's not that easy, Matilda," her mother cut in, always the bad guy. It cut into her heart to be the killjoy in the family. "A vaccine may not be fast enough for Thanksgiving, Matty. And it doesn't mean the nursing home will open for visitors. We'll do our best to ensure you get some time with Granny Ivy. However, it probably won't be an in-person visit."

"I don't want to face time, mommy," Matty wailed, leaping from her stool. "I want to hug Granny Ivy and be with her...really be with her this time. It's Thanksgiving." Tear-blind, she stumbled back upstairs to her room and flung herself onto her bed.