VII

Silently, Matty slipped outside and softly pulled the door closed. Apple Hill House wasn't that far away--only ten minutes in the car. She could walk there quickly and visit Granny Ivy for a little while. If Nurse Emma Jean were on duty, she would allow her inside for a few minutes.

Steadily, Matty walked to the main road until she reached the turning for the nursing home. With determination etched across her little face, Matty approached Hawthorne Street and turned toward Apple Hill House. Step by step, she strode past the dry cleaners and the bank where the friendly teller gave her shiny red lollipops. The fast food place where they lunched with Nana Amy stood on her righthand side.

The more she walked, the longer the road stretched. Soon, Matty's new boots began to slide up and down against her ankles. Her socks bunched up beneath the heels of her feet. Bravely, she held her head up, but it sagged down between her shoulders. Still, the youngster continued as her strong stride became a painful limp. Matty forced herself to gaze into the distance. The turning to Apple Hill House seemed a million miles away.

Step by agonizing step, Matty strode on and on. Finally she could not walk any further. A bus stop bench beckoned the child to stop and rest her feet. Gradually she limped toward it until she could gingerly sit down. Taking her left boot off, she straightened her sock, then did the same with her right foot. It was difficult to return her footwear to her swollen feet, but somehow she managed it. She had to get to Granny Ivy.

Feeling she had to continue, she stood up and proceeded. After only a few steps, Matty stopped again. Her limp increased significantly. She stumbled forward. Standing in the middle of the sidewalk, she looked about her. The turning for Apple Hill House remained far in the distance. When she glanced the other way, her street was just as far away. She could not go ahead, and she could not go back. The small girl began to wail. Then, strong, loving arms encircled her childish body.

"Where are you going, love?" Nana Amy whispered in her ear.

"I want to see Granny Ivy," Matty breathed back, pushing away from her older relative. With great determination, she began to hobble along the sidewalk.

"Come with me," the grandmother stated, firmly gripping her grandchild's upper arm. She maneuvered the little girl into her Ford Fiesta, idling against the curb.

Devoid of further resistance, Matty perched on the passenger seat. Her feet ached; her head felt like a heavy rock upon her shoulders. She was entirely out of steam. Her heart continued to ache for Granny Ivy. Nevertheless, she finally admitted defeat. Her only option was to return home with Nana Amy. Inconsolably, she sobbed.