24

Michael

"I'm not going to school tomorrow," Maya said, switching my bedroom light on. The clock read 10am, so I guess my sleep had been okay-ish.

"Yes you are,"

"No," she whined, "Please,"

"Why aren't you?"

"I don't wanna,"

"You'll be okay, we are gonna get your uniform, then go to the bookstore and you can get anything you want. Anything!"

All teary eyed, she climbed onto my bed and laid down, sniffling.

"No,"

"You've gotta give it a try ay? Otherwise we will never know,"

"I'm gonna fail,"

"No you're not, I will be helping you,"

"I am,"

"What do you think is going to happen if you fail?" I asked, laying beside her.

"You'll be mad and hate me,"

"I won't be mad or hate you. I would help,"

"Why? You wouldn't gain anything,"

"I don't have to gain anything. I wouldn't gain anything by hating you either,"

"I guess,"

"I am here for you, no matter what is upsetting you. Me and the guys are your biggest hype-men, and we may be a little rusty, but we will do our best to help,"

"You promise not to get mad,"

"I promise,"

"Okay. I'm so scared,"

"I know, and that's okay. It's normal to be anxious about these kinds of things,"

"I wish I was brave,"

"You are. You just care about making a good impression, and you want to do well in school! That's not a bad thing,"

She started crying again, so I put my arms around her and gently ran my fingers through her hair, hushing her.

"You are going to be okay. I know you will be okay, because I know that you are kind, you are hardworking, and you have us to help you out,"

"I don't feel okay,"

"I know. I am sorry,"

"I don't wanna leave you for a day,"

"I will drop you off, and pick you up. I'll be there on time, hell I will be there early, okay? And I will walk you into the school office if you want,"

"Thank you,"

"Trust me, you're gonna find some cooler people at school than me, and love it,"

"Okay,"

"Shall we get some breakfast and run our errands?"

I felt her nod, so I let go of her and she rubbed her eyes, holding her forehead when she sat up.  I went to the bathroom and chucked her some painkillers, then we went downstairs and I made us some pancakes, which she quite quickly devoured.

We both got ready to go out, then she had a bit of a wobble again, but I managed to coax her into the car and set off.

"So Ash is hosting again, he is going to make vegetable lasagna if you feel up to that after school. If not, me and you can gave a quiet night,"

"Mhm,"

Not really sure what to say next, I kept my mouth shut until we got there, then she walked beside me on the way to get the uniform.

The school just required her to have their shirt and skirts, which I wasn't sure she'd be fond of, but the trousers had to be loose fitting and that wasn't her kinda thing I thought.

She gave me a scowl when I passed her them to try on, but went anyway, so I found her pe kit and long black socks as well.

At one point I thought she was stuck in the changing rooms, but she eventually came out and passed me the correct size.

"Reckon this pe kit will be okay?"

"Yeah,"

"Let's get outta here then, and we can get you some shoes,"

I paid, and carried the back for her, then we went across to the shoe store where I waited for her to pick what she wanted. Admittedly none were really her taste, and I could tell she was getting quite upset inside about all of this again, so I chose some black lace up shoes, and got her some trainers too. Once I made sure they fit, I bought them too, and we left.

She wouldn't let me comfort her, but she did follow me into the book store, then I let her roam off, and checked my bank account. It was lower than usual, and with all my time off work I wouldn't be getting the best paycheck at the end of the month. Hopefully we could get access to Maya's savings, and I would work overtime. We were okay, but a sudden influx of money really had hit.

"Please can I get these two?"

"Of course,"

"Thank you. Are we going home after or getting lunch?"

"We can have lunch out if you want?"

"Yes please,"

I wasn't gonna let Maya think she had got me spending more than I usually would. I mean, she probably knew I was spending money, but I didn't want her to worry. Plus it was pretty out of character for her to ask for something, so I wanted to encourage it.

She swung the bag for the books back and forth as we left the shop, then picked out where she wanted to eat, and we sat opposite at a table. She took a while to pick her food, but eventually made a choice and we ordered.

"Am I gonna be super far behind?"

"Nope, they haven't been back long,"

"Okay... what if I get lost?"

"You won't, you'll hopefully have people to help,"

"What if everyone laughs at me?"

"They're not going to laugh at you, you're gonna have a good first day. It's a really nice school,"

"I wish we were closer in age, then we could've gone to school together,"

"Yeah, but then you wouldn't have half the fun we have because we'd just argue,"

"No we wouldn't,"

"Yes we would," I laughed, "Maybe you will find a friend that's like a sibling, like the guys,"

"I don't think anyone can be as good friends as you guys are. You're like, friend soulmates,"

Feeling myself blush, I smiled and looked down; sometimes I couldn't hide how much love I really had for them,

"But yeah. Maybe I will,"

"You've just gotta have an open mind,"

"I still think people will think I am weird,"

"They will not,"

"So you think I will have friends?"

"I think you will have lots of friends,"

"Okay. I hope you're right.