Completed Prologue

"Happy birthday, sweetie!" The middle-aged man, dressed in an undeniably expensive outfit and drenched by an overbearing cologne, smiles widely as he urges the young boy forward into the grand living room. The floor tiles beneath him shine so brightly, void of any dust or dirt particles, to a point that when he looks down, he can see his reflection ever-so-clearly, looking back up at him. His eyebrows furrow slightly at his odd appearance. He had arrived at this mansion only hours ago dressed casually. But now, he's wearing slacks that feel uncomfortably stiff and a blouse that has a huge ridiculous bow sitting on the front of his collarbone.

When Namjoon feels a gentle push come from the hand that's guiding him from behind, he snaps his gaze up and glances around the luxurious living room with wide eyes until his gaze falls upon a young girl, around his age, sitting on the large couch dressed in a beautiful pale pink dress. Her large round eyes glisten under the bright lights of the chandelier as they follow his every step. Her pink dress sits rather awkwardly on her body - too big for her small frame, looking as if it were swallowing her whole much like Namjoon's blouse.

"Sweetie, I know how much you've been wanting a puppy. But since you're my precious princess, daddy got you something even better. Any random kid can have a puppy but only the best kids get a puppy boy instead. He is going to be your friend and he will keep you company while your mother and I are at work."

The words 'puppy boy' ring in Namjoon's ear like foreign words. His right canine ear, on the top of his head, flickers at the odd phrase and he itches to tilt his head in confusion. However the hand pressed firmly on his lower back pushes his small legs to bring him closer to the center of the living room. His steps come to a hesitant halt when he nears the expensive couch and glass coffee table. There isn't a slight smudge in sight and it feels as if he so much as exhales too loud, the pristine furniture in front of him would shatter instantly.

"Oh, honey. What a surprise! Isn't this great, Azula? Look at the puppy boy daddy bought you," a middle-aged woman cheers gleefully from where she's sitting perhced next to the young girl - dressed in clothes that match the luxurious aesthetic of this property perfectly.

"Puppy!" the young girl giggles happily as Namjoon timidly approaches the couch she is sitting on. She scampers up from her seat and rushes towards the young boy to wrap her arms around his neck in a tight hug.

Namjoon startles at the sudden action and tenses in her hold. He wishes to open his mouth to correct the family. He isn't a puppy boy. He is a wolf hybrid - an extremely rare hybrid breed, in fact. But the intense stares and stiff smiles coming from the man and the woman are keeping his mouth clamped shut.

"Hey, puppy," the man calls out from where he has now taken a seat next to the woman. "Why don't you introduce yourself like a good boy?"

"H-hello. My name is Kim Namjoon," Namjoon bows instantly and recites his introduction almost robotically. His small thumbs twiddle nervously as his gaze dances back and forth between the girl and her parents.

"Oh, so well trained already!" The woman gushes. "Honey, where did you find him? What breed is he? He doesn't have normal dog ears."

"Yeah, his ears are really big and funny-looking," the young girl giggles, reaching a hand up to touch the wolf hybrid's ears. Namjoon flinches when her small fingers tug a little too hard and a faint whimper slips past his lips.

"Princess, be gentle. Don't tug too hard on his doggy ears. They're sensitive," the man instructs sternly.

"Sorry," she mumbles sheepishly as she bats her eyelashes up at Namjoon.

"I met up with a private breeder to get him. I'm actually not quite sure what specific breed he is - but he sure is a unique breed for the amount of money he was worth. The breeder said his kind is highly intelligent and protective. I thought he would be the perfect puppy boy for Azula," the man adds, responding to his wife's previous question.

"The man didn't tell you what breed he is?" she gasps softly, keeping her voice in a hushed tone. It's almost as if she's trying to hide her shock from the children. But Namjoon hears her anyway thanks to his heightened senses. "How are you sure the man didn't trick you to get your money? What if he sold you a wolf hybrid? I heard they're rare and expensive."

"Don't worry, honey," the man whispers back. "I would never adopt a hybrid that could potentially hurt our family. This boy looks like a good kid; doesn't look like he can hurt a fly."

Namjoon cocks his head to the side in confusion as he continues to listen in on the couple's quiet conversation.

"As long as he's a dog hybrid and not a dirty wolf, then he's perfect. I don't want a monster under our roof."

Namjoon's face falls the moment the woman's words register in his ears. Dirty wolf? Monster? Sure, he's a wolf hybrid but he is neither dirty nor a monster. It's true the young boy has a strong sense of protectiveness and would not hesitate to hurt those who hurt his loved ones - even at such a young age. It's just biologically driven into him. But he wouldn't hurt people purposely - he would only do it to protect. So, he isn't a monster, right?

"C'mon, Nammie," the young girl calls out with a soft giggle as she carelessly grabs at one of Namjoon's hands. The wolf hybrid is immediately snapped out of his thoughts and stares at her smaller hand in shock. "Let's go play! I want to show you my room."

Namjoon panics and looks to the woman and man for help. However, the man smiles brightly at the sight of his daughter becoming quickly accustomed to her new friend and nods approvingly.

"What a great idea, sweetie! Go show Namjoon your toys and see if he wants to play with you," the mother smiles and encourages her daughter with a small flick of her hands.

Namjoon barely has any time to process what's going on because he finds himself being dragged out of the living room, up a grand marble staircase, and down a long hallway until Azula is eagerly opening a closed door.

"So, Nammie," the young girl giggles as she runs into her room and throws herself onto her large bed. "This is my room! Do you like it?"

"My name is Namjoon," the wolf hybrid frowns, glancing around the spacious room. The room itself is well kept, but he can tell it's not Azula's doing. There are small traces of messes made by the young girl such as crayons thrown askew on her desk or a bunch of dolls left out on the center rug.

"I know, but that's boring!" Azula states dramatically. "So I gave you a nickname - Nammie. I think it sounds much better." 

♡ ♡ ♡

Here it is! This is the prologue that I drafted many months ago to get us into the story. How did you guys like it? 

I had intended for this story to follow Namjoon until Yoongi came into the story. This way, we would have seen how Namjoon met Seokjin and then how Yoongi met the both of them. However, moving forward into the character introductions/summaries, I'll start with Seokjin since I think his backstory gives just enough information to not spoil Namjoon and Yoongi's backstories 😉

I'll see y'all soon for Seokjin's backstory 💜

- Wonniesverse 🧸