chapter one

POV Rachel

Returning back to Titan tower has been interesting. I wouldn't exactly say a good different. I don't know what it is exactly, but Gar hasn't been around really. I thought, I don't know. I missed him. He's my best friend.

"Rachel"

Dick stood in the doorway of my room. He gave me a small smile.

"We're meeting in the living room right now"

"Okay"

I stood up and walked out the door with him. The first few seconds of the walk felt weird. I could feel that Dick had something to say. Whatever it was it was shifting the atmosphere.

"How are you adjusting to being back?"

"Good"

"How are you and the rest of the team?"

"Good"

"How are you and Gar?"

"Why do you ask that?"

I stop and give raise an eyebrow at him before he could say anything Jason appeared behind him.

"Because tiger boy did nothing, but talk about you while you were gone. Constantly, and now he's never around. What'd you do?"

I give Jason a dirty look.

"So what's that have to do with me? I haven't say anything to him since I've got back. The only conversation we had was the one we had right in front of you guys."

Dick reaches over and puts a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"So things are good between the two of you?"

"Yes"

Even as the word left my mouth, I felt nauseous. It was a lie. I had no idea if things were good between us or not. I just didn't want everyone to know that especially Jason.
When we get to the living room, everyone else is already there. Jason quickly flops next to Rose and winks at her. I stood awkwardly as I realize the only open spot is between Hank and Rose or...
Gar sat on the ground leaning against the edge of the couch. He glances at me then looks away. I want to sit next to him. I do. He's just being weird and awkward. I can't handle that right now. I squeeze myself between Rose and Hank.

"Alright, now. I have some good news. You're all being assigned missions. Most of them are out of state or city. Each of you are paired"

Suddenly, Dick's questioning was starting to make sense.

"Kory and I will be going-"

I tuned everything out after that. My heart was pounding. I should of told Dick the truth. I can't handle sitting next to him let alone working with him on a mission. Please tell me I'm wrong—

"Rachel and Gar, you'll be staying here at the tower. I'll give the two of you more details in private after."

Gar and I nod.

————————————

Dick and Kory are leaving now while everyone else leaves tonight besides Rose, Jason, Gar and I. Rose and Jason leave in the morning. Sounds like Hell to me.

"So do the two of you understand?"

Dick stood by the elevator with a duffle bag slung over his shoulder. He looked very serious. All we had to do was wait for a package from Bruce Wayne. That's all the instructions we have at the moment.

We respond in unison.

"Yes"

Gar and I look at each other. He quickly looks back at Dick. Kory smiles at me and pulls me into a hug. I gently hug her back. I was going to miss her.