Prologue

Part One

"And you studied for your test right?" I heard Amity ask over the phone as I fixed my hair in the mirror. I merely hummed in affirmation as I had been doing for most of the conversation. My mind had been too focused to properly respond.

"You're also aware of the new school rules being implemented right? I don't want you getting into unnecessary trouble for not wearing the uniforms we were issued." I sighed, they were only just uniforms after all anyway, it didn't matter. I hummed once more before something on the mirror caught my eye. It was a picture of Amity and me from the school dance last year and seeing it made me smile. Memories from that night made my face flush given my hidden feelings for her.

I wanted to ask her to the dance and tell her about everything but I got scared and just asked if we could go as friends. Still, I had a great time with her regardless, and keeping my feelings to myself didn't seem so bad. I still had her in my life and that was enough for me. Besides, I wasn't exactly certain if she would even return my feelings if I told her. So I'd keep it to myself until I was ready to do so.

"Great, then after school, we can steal a government vehicle and rob a store." Amity slipped in and I rolled my eyes before chuckling. A smirk grew on my face at the image.

"I am listening, you know? I just didn't get much sleep last night thus leading me to lack the energy to formulate the proper response." I jokingly responded and the smirk slipped as I heard her chuckle on the other end.

"Just checking," I heard someone talking on her end before she continued. "I have to go. I'll see you at school?" She said and before I could respond she hung up. I smiled before putting my phone in my pocket and looking back at myself in the mirror. I could see the smile on my face brought on by Amity and I shook my head at myself for being such a mess for her. Now that I was off of the phone I tuned in to the distant sound of the television. Turning away from the mirror I stepped into the doorway to catch a glimpse of the screen.

"More of these gifted individuals are being discovered as time goes on. The dangers that they pose to us, our families, and our livelihood are undeniable. The Sector, an independent branch of the military called upon when there is a threat larger than what local law enforcement can handle, had come forward a few months ago with a plan to gather these individuals in large numbers. They would then place them in containment to assess their capabilities as well as the risks and dangers they impose on society." I heard the news anchor echo from the only broadcast channel programmed into the television as I leaned against the door frame and watched the story unfold.

People with gifts have been coming forward or were being discovered every day. Those who were found to have these abilities have been using them to do bad things and harm others. From stealing to robbing to multiple other actions; they have proven time and time again that the government needed to intervene and take over this volatile situation in place of the police who were not capable of handling it themselves. It was amusing watching how they scrambled unsuccessfully to stop them. They were no match and their attempts were laughable. Though The Sector offered a month ago to consult with the government on ways to deal with them and they made a deal by law to place The Sector in charge of what happens to these gifted individuals. And things were fine until people of younger ages developed and were known to possess such powers.

They couldn't keep kids locked up so they made a plan, a program. They'd collect kids with abilities and ship them off to The Sector to learn how to use them for the greater good. I rolled my eyes not sure how taking a bunch of kids was going to do any good but what did I know? These actions formed into this involuntary enlistment into the program and kids were being taken away from their parents, forcefully ripped from their homes to go here without any choice. Of course, parents were furious and now tensions are at their highest though they were wasting their time trying to take on a fight with the entire government. The people sent to find the ones with gifts, named The Collectors, started to come into school searching for students who were like this. This only proved my belief true that regular people were no match for power like them.