Chapter Four - Right in front of you

I'd found myself wandering into The Pit where I'd fought Jerbo and I looked at the room as it stood dark and empty, like a vast void. Yet somehow still less intimidating than it had been when I was battling within it. Even with its threatening undertone I still managed to feel at ease as peace settled within me. "I've been looking for you everywhere." I heard Willow's sudden voice reach my ears and I turned to gaze at her with a raised brow. 

"Are you looking for a rematch with Jerbo?" She questioned me and I sighed.

"No, he won fair and square because he was better than me," I admitted honestly.

"You missed out on most of the first day of trials. It was a lot of fun watching everyone fight." Willow mentioned off-handedly looking distantly off in the corner. 

"I'm sure I'm not missing out on too much," I mumbled following her eyes and catching sight of a camera in the corner before looking back at her. "I don't think I'd put up much of a fight anyway." My tone shifted as my mind grew distant while I thought of my fight with Jerbo once again.

"Well, you could always fight me." She offered with a smirk, her eyes going back to me. Thinking of it actually made me smile as it had been a considerate offer. The longer my mind lingered on thoughts of Willow the more it caused me to realize how little I truly knew about her. 

"I may just take you up on that sometime." My eyes went to her green jacket reminding me that she was a level above me. "Maybe you could teach me a thing or two." I raised a brow while motioning to her jacket and she rolled her eyes as her lips quirked upward ever so slightly.

"You could use it." She teased and I placed a hand over my heart feigning offense. "You should take part in the after-trial ritual. The levels get with their group and try to take a flag from The Six. And I mean the whole team against all of the recruits divided by levels taking them on to steal it." She changed the subject with a subtle edge to her tone. I tilted my head curiously.

"You and I obviously won't be on the same team because of our levels but it's a lot of fun and you could use something like that." The thought actually did pique my interest. "I am here to give you advice so maybe try listening to it for once?" She smiled and I laughed looking back on all the things I did that were the exact opposite of her advice. Maybe she was right.

"Fine, what harm could it really do?" I gave in and her eyes shifted to the side before she grew to look extremely excited about my response.

"That's the spirit!" She stepped forward and raised a fist in the air. "I'll see you at lunch?" She told me before sending a wink my way and moving to leave The Pit. I watched after her until she disappeared through the door and I let my eyes analyze my surroundings once more. The darkness that the room had fallen into felt as if it was more in motion as if something was lurking, watching me. 

It seemed to engulf the surrounding areas consuming every once of light left. I sighed closing my eyes yet they snapped back open as I felt a gust of air. I stumbled back bringing my hands up creating light and looking around in terror. Nothing seemed out of place and as I felt more air I realized that it must have just been coming from the door Willow had left open in her exit. I closed my fists dousing my light and rolling my eyes at myself before making my way out of The Pit. It was all just in my head.

... ... ... ...

By the time lunch rolled around I had been roaming the halls just trying to pass the time. The tryouts were probably officially done at this point and I needed to meet up with Willow to eat before this next game started. So I sat next to her and the other level three recruits as they discussed their possible game plan. "No, all I'm saying is that maybe Willow should sit out on this one. What is she going to do? Threaten them with flowers?"