Chapter Two - In the Pit

The next morning I woke up in a sweat. Nightmares and flashes of being taken only this time with a worse ending. I was breathing heavily when I turned to see my roommate already awake and dressed, watering some plants sitting on the window sill. "Good morning newbie." She mumbled bluntly whilst turning toward me.

"Uh, morning," I answered back awkwardly and she rolled her eyes. "So you said you'd tell me everything today right?" With that said she sighed before taking a seat on the side of her bed.

"Today is your orientation. All level ones wear white letting us know that you are new and haven't earned a higher level yet. You get a higher level by showing how strong and useful your powers are and the color lets us know what level you are at." She started before looking off to the side.

"My advice is don't mess with anyone at a higher level than you because they have a habit of fighting with the newer levels. You can sit with me, but I recommend you stay away from everyone if you can. Maybe find another level one to talk to. They seem to stick together most of the time. Strength in numbers I suppose." She said and I watched as she took her glasses off and rubbed her eyes looking tired before placing them back on her face. 

"Everyone gets labeled weak when they first come in here. Because of that, you may get a lot of higher levels acting out. They pick on the weak here because they know they can't do anything to protect themselves most of the time. And the guards let them get away with it so I'd suggest not wasting your time asking for help. You'll only get laughed at and shoved aside." She seemed to be speaking from personal experience as if she had seen this happen one too many times.

"So why did they room me with you? You are at a higher level, aren't you?" I asked curiously.

"I am, but we haven't had a new group in a while and most of us have been here for a long time. They don't usually stick newbies with each other. Not sure why but I don't care enough to ask." She said offhandedly. "So, what's your gift?" She asked me.

"I can make light from my hands?" I said it as more of a question than a statement. Having not been allowed to use my powers by my mother left me at a disadvantage. I didn't know what I could do with my powers and I wasn't sure how to control them even if I did choose to use them.

"Really? Wow, okay. Looks like you won't be going up a level." She commented.

"Why do you say that?" I inquired, unsure of what she'd meant.

"Because they rate people on how strong they are and how useful they can be. I don't think they'll need you in the field and if you have nothing else to offer then I'm pretty sure you'll be stuck." She said this with a hint of pity in her voice. As if my life was going to be a nightmare being stuck as a level one.

"Well, what's your gift?" I asked while regarding her jacket's color of green with my eyes.

"I can grow plants and vines and all that. The only use I've had is making sure their garden is looking good. They don't have much use for me either. So it looks like you and I are in the same boat. Maybe that is why they stuck both of us with each other. We can be useless together." She said as her voice grew quiet. Before I could say anything she turned and stood by the door scanning it with her band to get it to open.

"Let's get some food for you." She said before stepping out and I rushed to follow her as she was my only source of help in The Sector at the moment. I fell into step behind her as I watched the other level ones also leaving their rooms with their roommates. I caught a glimpse of Hunter, the only other level one I knew by name, and gave him a small wave. He returned the gesture before his roommate scolded him and they continued forward.