8| Fighting

"You told me she left us, but they say... Dad? Is it true?"

Jody, Dean and I were off to the side as Patience and her father talked.

"Yes," James nodded.

"You said she was fake!"

"She was! At least, I felt like she was, after. I always believed in her powers, I had total faith in them, but... they were wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"When your mother got sick, Grandma told me, she said, 'Tess will be alright'," James explained. "She promised me, but then Tess... She apologized after, she said nothing's ever set in stone but I, I couldn't forgive her."

"So you cut your mother out of her life?" I growled.

"This whole time I could have had a relationship with her," Patience breathed.

"Growing up with her, she was always on the road, hunting! I spent my entire childhood terrified of monsters, of losing her. I didn't want that life for you, I... I didn't want her encouraging-"

"Encouraging what?!"

"Grandma believed..." James swallowed. "She felt you had the gift."

"Oh, my God," Patience whispered.

"But you didn't. Baby, you don't. I mean, you're eighteen. If you had powers, we'd know it by now."

"My dream, last night? I saw what happened before it happened," Patience shook her head. "I-"

"Your daughter is psychic, that's why the wraith is coming after her," Jody addressed James.

"So we run," James stated. "We can work all this out later, but right now get your things, we need to go."

Patience looked over at Dean, Jody and me, hesitance written all over her features.

"Patience, I said now!" James yelled.

His daughter turned, walking out and heading to her room. A minute later, we heard a scream come from upstairs. All four of us took off running, but when we got into the room, there was no sign of Patience and the window was open.

Thanks to James and a little magic, we were able to track down Patience. We entered the room, where Patience was tied in a chair. Dean indicated for Jody and I to split off while he took point and James stayed behind to help his daughter.

"Move!" Patience cried out.

 I returned to the room as the wraith attacked James, who managed to just get grazed on the shoulder thanks to Patience's warning. Jody also came into the room, seeing James on the floor.

"Jody, behind you!" Patience yelled.

Jody slashed at the wraith behind her and he pushed her against the wall, trying to disarm her. I fired a shot from my gun, managing to hit the wraith in the shoulder. As he fell back from Jody, she punched him in the face, him retaliating by knocking her out. He picked up the knife she'd been holding, turning to face me.

"Jody!" I yelled.

My cry alerted Dean, who came in with his gun out.

"Dean! Ellie!" Patience called.

The wraith went left to attack Dean, knocking me aside as he did so. Dean and the wraith sparred, throwing each other around the room until Dean finally managed to stab the wraith in the stomach using the knife the monster was still holding. I headed over, helping James and Jody to their feet.

"You okay?" Dean asked us.

"Uh..." Jody nodded, leaning against me.

"How did you...?" Dean asked Patience.

"Guess I'm psychic," she replied.

"Huh."

"Dean, we need to talk," I said.

"Do we? What about?"

"Jack."

He scoffed, turning away from me to sit at one of the tables in the middle of the library.

"This attitude you have toward him has to stop."

"Yeah, why's that?"

"Because it's stupid, that's why! He's not evil, Dean."

"You don't know that. He's the spawn of Satan. It's only a matter of time."

"Is that why you told him you'd kill him?" I spat.

"Oh, come on," Dean rolled his eyes. "It wasn't exactly like that."

"Then how exactly was it like?"

"I told him the truth. See, you and Sam think you can use this freak but I know how this ends and it ends bad."

"I didn't. Sam didn't."

"What?"

"We didn't 'end bad'. When Sam was 'the freak' for drinking demon blood. He didn't. And I have powers a lot like Jack's. I didn't 'end bad'."

"Come on, Ellie, that's totally different."

"Was it? Because you could have put a bullet in Sam. John told you to put a bullet in him, and you still didn't! You could still put a bullet in me. Some of the Brits admitted that I'd be better off dead for what I can do. They outright called me a monster who should be hunted."

"Sam deserved to be saved! And you're not a monster, Eleanor, you're human! You deserve to live, too! He doesn't!"

"Yes, he does, Dean, of course he does!"

"Look, I know you think that you can use him as some sort of interdimensional can-opener and that's fine, but don't act like you care about him! Because you only care about what he can do for you! So, if you want to pretend, that's fine! But, me? I can hardly look at the kid! Because when I do, all I see is everybody we've lost!"

"My mom chose to take that shot at Lucifer. That is not on Jack!"

"And what about Cass?"

I froze up, holding my breath as I stared back at Dean.

"What about Cass?" I hissed in a whisper.

"He manipulated him, he made him promises, said 'paradise on earth' and Cass bought it, and you know what that got him? It got him dead!" Dean yelled. "Now, you might be able to forget about that, but I can't!"

I closed my eyes,  taking deep breaths as I fought to keep my cool.

"You're a hypocrite," I said, opening my eyes once more. "If you really believe I deserve to live with what I can do, and he doesn't, then you're a damn hypocrite. Same with Maddie and Zep."

"Don't you bring our kids into this. It has nothing to do with them."

"Maddie can see angel wings and heal people, Dean! Zep can manipulate the Veil! How does this have nothing to do with them?"

"They're just kids!"

"Yeah, so is Jack! If he actually looked his age, would you still honestly be able to look me in the eye and tell me he deserves to die?"

That finally got Dean to hesitate.

"I'm going to bed," I said. "Find somewhere else to sleep tonight."