1- Now or Never

July, 1995

SEPH CARDIN BOBBED HER head to the beat of Sunset Curve as they ran through their finale song

SEPH CARDIN BOBBED HER head to the beat of Sunset Curve as they ran through their finale song. Her fingers danced around the soundboard with ease, upping and lowering volume where it seemed necessary. She stuck ripped up sticky notes under the lead and rhythm guitar to remind herself later that night where the max volume should be. More were added to three of the four vocals, but she decided she needed a moment with Alex and Reggie to fix vocals and bass volume.

A girl cleaning the tables of the venue started cheering and clapping for the boys. Seph smiled and jotted notes down on a notepad as the boys conversed about their soundcheck. She lifted her gaze and saw Reggie hand the girl a CD and shirt which she gratefully took and threw over her shoulder. Reggie, Luke and Alex made to leave the venue, leaving Bobby with the girl, before Seph called out to them.

"Hey before you guys leave real quick!" The three curved their path to stand in a line in front of the ginger. "Alex and Reggie I need you two back a little early so I can do an extra check. Just for Alex's vocal's and the bass."

"Aye aye captain." Reggie mock saluted the girl, so she reached out and slapped him lightly with her notebook.

"Get back here two hours early okay? You all need a long shower."

"Aw what's wrong, Josephine?" Luke reached round and enveloped the girl in a tight, sweaty hug. "We don't smell that bad."

"That's debatable." Seph wrinkled her nose and twisted out of the hug that had now turned into a playful headlock. "Now go fuel up, you've got a big night."

The three whooped and ran out, practically floating on Cloud 9 with the euphoria of what was to come. Seph shook her head and went back to checking the cables, moving them out of the way so Reggie, Luke and Bobby wouldn't trip over. Alex's cable was decently neat, though she wound it a little higher around the mic stand, just in case.

She decided to nip out to a local small shop to get a sandwich and smoothie as her fuel before the concert. She grabbed a simple BLT and an strawberry and banana smoothie, deciding to throw a chocolate bar on top of it all when she got to the till. Fans were already lining up outside the venue, even though it was still two hours before the show.

An hour passed and Seph had finished her food, now sitting on the edge of the stage swinging her feet while waiting for Alex and Reggie. They should have been there thirty minutes ago.

They were a pain but never late when she told them to be somewhere.

"Rose?" She called out to the girl from before. "I'm going to check where the guys are."

"I'll let Bobby know." The girl smiled warmly at Seph.

The ginger exited through the back of the building to where the fans were. A great crowd had formed at the entrance of an alley, with people jostling to get a view.