Chapter three - Oh boy + Characters

"We're your brothers"

I blinked a few times, Nate's words ringing in my ears.

"What?"

"We're your older brothers", he repeated, watching for my reaction. Pushing his eyebrows together, he continued in a murmur. "I thought you knew about us".

Did I hear that right? Frowning, my mouth opened and closed like a fish stranded on dry land.

"I- I, No- I don't have...", I was completely unable to finish my sentence.

"It's a long story sweetheart that I will share with you later but not right now. We need to get some other things settled first", he explained, not easing my confusion. Why has no one told me I have brothers? Why didn't we know each other? I had so many questions that wanted to be let out so badly.

"Can you tell me about your guardian?" Nate requested, his hand rubbing small comforting circles on my back.

"Uhm... I don't have one", I mumbled, playing with Mr. Benny's trunk. Since these men were family, I figured I could tell them small parts of the past but keep some of it to myself.

"What do you mean?" I could feel his eyes watching me as I kept staring at my feet, knowing he could see right through me if I looked at him.

Shrugging my shoulders, I tried to stall the interrogation as I searched for words, being very careful of what I said.

"I haven't had one since we lived in Idaho", I finally murmured.

"What happened in Idaho?"

"We lived with Carol and- uhm, Trevor". A shiver ghosted down my spine from the mention of that cruel man's name. I hoped Nathaniel didn't notice the sudden goosebumps that trailed along my bare legs.

"Who are they?"

"They were our foster parents".

"But not anymore?" It was clear to hear the frown that must be on his forehead as he spoke.

I shook my head in reply, sparing my throat from talking too much. It had started to feel really sore.

Nathaniel shifted his position, twisting slightly so he could look down at me. "How come?"

Biting my lip, I used a lot of my strength to push all of the bad memories about Trevor out of my head. I didn't want to be reminded of how he treated us. He had been mean to us since the first day he saw us in his house. I never knew why.

"Luca didn't like living there so we, uhm w-we left". My small voice had grown even tinier and sounded hoarse.

He was quiet for a second as he reached for a glass on the table with water in it. Handing it to me, I greedily gulped down a few sips. The water was nice but not what my throat needed. It longed for something warm instead. Like hot chocolate.

"You ran away?" He asked, looking for confirmation.

I nodded, trailing the tips of my fingers along the sewing of Mr. Benny's fur.

"I see", he paused, our eyes meeting. It was as if his gaze held me captive as he carried on. "Were there other reasons that made you choose to leave?"

My heartbeat picked up as I started to grow nervous about where these questions were heading.

"I don't think so", I mumbled, desperately wanting to divert eye contact with his dark chestnut-colored irises.

Nathaniel held a thoughtful expression as all the information I shared with him settled in.