~ 6 ~

The club was such a wonderful idea, Arlana wished she had thought of it but was thrilled she'd been offered the job

The club was such a wonderful idea, Arlana wished she had thought of it but was thrilled she'd been offered the job. Within a month she had gone from an abused woman who was holding onto a thin strand of hope to... Arlana wasn't exactly sure what her job title was. Fortunately, Jorken turned a blind eye, caring only for the money she earned and he only knew of a small portion, Arlana wisely squirreling the remainder away.

Arlana had always loved history and the extension of the Kirkpatrick Irish Pub was perfect. The speakeasy concept was an instant hit, drawing in a steady stream of clientele. The men looked just like old-school mafia bosses, dressed to the nines. Swanky. Sophisticated. For a night, their visitors were able to experience a bygone era that, within these four walls, at least, was alive and well.

No one ever discussed exactly whose idea the club had been and it didn't seem to matter, each employee taking great pride in the establishment.

Patrick often darkened the doors, supplying his own locally crafted beer. He claimed it was an old family recipe. It was a hit with the clients as was the entire club, truth be told. After all, within the club, fantasies were fulfilled without fear of judgment. The personalized experience made their establishment stand out from the competition. The Kirkpatrick boys went the extra mile and it paid off.

"Gavin?" Arlana gasped, looking into the eyes of the last person she expected to see at the club.

He looked just as surprised.

"I'm in town and heard this place is... What are you doing working here? In a place like this? Does your family know?"

Arlana frowned. She could ask the same thing but bit her tongue. Gavin was here for the experience and that's what he'd get. The fact they knew each other shouldn't make things awkward.

"It's a long story, but of course not. This is awkward for both of us, I'm certain, but this is your experience. Relax. I won't breathe a word to anyone. What happens within these walls stays here."