29

I remember as a child, panic wasn't such a rare occurrence for me

I remember as a child, panic wasn't such a rare occurrence for me. In fact, panic became more of a common thing than love or warmth.

It's been a good few months since I have felt real, true, terrorising panic. Ever since I took those steps inside the gates of juvie, panic became a stranger once again.

Now though...

"Breathe! Just breathe! Everything will be fine! Everything will be just...fine!"

"Or it wont."

My crystal blue eyes instantly snapped to Maddie's, who had interrupted my pep talk. She held her pale hands up in surrender, a little smirk on her face.

"She's got a point Kal." Jamie said, chucking a sour ball into his mouth and chewing away.

"Can we not point out the fucking obvious for one night!" I groaned, "I don't need the extra stress."

"Hey, at least they won't shoot you." Ace grinned, "they've already shot all of us."

"Not the time Ace." Killian muttered as the glare on my face only hardened.

Sighing, I fell back onto the sofa behind me, screaming as I face planted the pillow. After telling Ace and the others about Christopher wanting to meet them, they jumped at the opportunity.

Why I have no idea...

As far as I'm aware, they would kill each other the second the opportunity presented itself. Being arch enemies meant that they had no reason to meet and be civil. Especially with recent events.

I have no idea how the bio family will react when they found out who exactly it is I value over them. Who was there for me and Daniel when they weren't.

I can't see how this could play out where everyone leaves with limbs intact.

And life unscathed.

Fixing my makeup in the mirror, I straightened out the skirt of the all black, v neckline dress I was wearing that ended mid thigh. There was a holster wrapped around my upper thigh, hiding my daggers just incase they may be needed for this evening.

And they most likely will.

Tongiht, Maddie, Ace, Jamie, Killian and Luke -the silent but supportive person- are all coming to the Montessori mansion this evening. In two groups, we piled into the cars parked outside the club house.

I went with Luke in his car with Jamie, Maddie Ace and Killian driving behind us. Luke is the weapons guy out of us all, he's like our own 007 in the gang.

As Ace drove behind in his Subaru and Luke drove in his Ford mustang, I stared out the window as dread pooled in the pit of my stomach.

One of my give always of anxiety was fiddling with my fingers and bouncing my knee, which Luke noticed almost immediately. He placed his rough, scarred hand in my, interlacing our fingers before resting the two on my bouncing knee. His touch helped soothe me, relaxing in the leather of the racing car.

My overthinking mind couldn't help but explore the possibilities that await me through the doors of my new home.

How will the Montessori's react when they find out I was raised and cared for by the very same people they attacked days beforehand? What will they do to the ones I love.

Is their hatred for the Chained Angels so strong that they would hurt me to get to them? Am I simply just a means to an end in a war of the underworld?

From what I have witnessed and experienced in my short month and a half here, it is that family is what they hold most dear. Christopher is a devoted father despite what Daniel told me, and he cares deeply for all his children. I can't help but wonder though, does that love extend to me?

After all, he barely knows me. He has no idea the luggage I bring, the traumas I hold. The danger that is swarming in the seas by his home.

If push comes to shove, I will chose the Chained Angels over the Montessori's. They have built me up from mere ruin. Shaped me into the strong woman I am today. Without them, I'd still be that broken little girl drowning beneath the waves life had crushed down on her.

I'm just the last year they had saved me from perhaps my biggest challenge yet. The danger that threatened my life and survival. What kept me away from those I love, and made me fear for them all the same. The monster who haunts me nightmares.

God only knows what he is doing now. Has he found someone else to torment, or is he simply just lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce on his prey?

I noticed as the cars slowed, right at the guardhouse of the mansion. I poked my head out side the windows, to show the guards that it was me.

"Buonasera signorina Montessori." The guard spoke as he opened the electric gate.

Good evening Miss Montessori

Luke drove through with the stoic look still remaining on his face. As he parked the car, he turned towards me, waiting to see if I was ready to go.

It's one of the things I love about Luke. He knows actions speak louder than words, and he understands that this is a tough moment for me. If I were to ask him to speed all the way back to England right now, he'd jump on every ferry and road to get me there as fast as possible.

I gave him a slight nod, and he unlocked the car doors. Killian helped me out the car, offering his hand, and held onto me for my own support as we made our way to the front door.

Ace and Maddie were already there, soft smiles on their faces. Jamie and Luke went behind Killian and I, forming a sort of security team for me. I opened the door, and stepped through Maddie and Ace.

The hall was empty, making me realise we were a few minutes early. At the sound of the front door opening though, I heard a hoard of footsteps echoing through the hall from the kitchen.

Standing before my adoptive family, I watched apprehensively as Antonio, Mateo, Tristan, Tommaso, Stefano and Christopher all stood frozen in the middle of the room.

And within seconds,

All guns were drawn.